Friday, August 14, 2009

Me. On a Soapbox. Who Knew?


So much going on, I don't know where to begin. I thought this would be a rant that would end as they all normally do with: Paris Hilton. Lindsay Lohan. That's all.

But these things are serious.

These things work my nerves.
_________________

A gay couple, married in California but living in that gay mecca called Utah, had one of the local papers in Salt Lake City refuse to publish their marriage announcement. Now, this wasn't just two queens standing up in their backyard wearing Hawaiian shirts and leis and being dubbed "committed" by some Internet preacher. these two men are legally married, but their own hometown newspaper won't acknowledge it. Why? Because the paper thinks that by printing the announcement they might be seen as gay-friendly? Or tolerant? Or human?
Seriously, two guys got legally married and want to share the news with their town. What's the big deal Utah?
__________________

I got into a discussion--no yelling, no guns, no death to....signs--about health care reform with my boss. He is quite the conservative and I. Am. Not. But, during the course of the discussion he revealed that he's worried that under Obama's plan elderly people, or anyone with a terminal condition will be forced into counseling.
Forced.
But then I asked him why that was such an issue. if you are nearing the end of your days, or if you are diagnosed with a terminal illness, wouldn't you want the option of talking to someone?
He suggested talking to your family. But can a family member be truly objective, always objective, when it comes to the idea of a loved one dying? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. an objective outside ear, via hospice care or a professional counselor, might be a good thing.
But, he said, they could talk to their priest.
What about those who are not of a religious bent? I don't have a priest or rabbi or pastor or minister or shaman to talk with, so where does that leave me?
Talking to a counselor is not a request for euthanasia people. It's talking. It's thinking about the option of a Living Will so that, if there ever comes a time when you are unable to make a decision, your wishes, YOUR wishes will be known.
How is that wrong?
____________________

I used to loathe Sarah Palin. I thought she was so ignorantly illiterate that it was sorta kinda funny. But now, I think she is one of the most dangerous human beings out there.
Sarah Palin, quitter, on her last day in office as governor of Alaska, asked that the media "get their stories straight" and that they leave her children out of the story.
Nice sentiment, and I actually agree.
But, Sarah, dear sweet shy stupid naive Sarah, practice what you preach, honey.
Just a few short minutes after quitting her job before she was finished, Sarah began to spew garbage about the "Obama Death Panel" and how they would want to kill her "baby with Down Syndrome."
Get your story straight, Sarah, and leave your children out of it.
Asshat.
______________________

Fear.
We fell for it during the Bush years when the Republicans preyed upon and marketed Fear of fill in the blank. It was bin Laden we were told was Public Enemy #1. Then it was Muslims in general. Then it was the Iraqis who fund and promote and train terrorists while hiding WMD.
But now the Republicans are back again and thinking their Fear tactics will continue to work. And they are, to an extent, because of the economic crisis, the health care issue, the idea that a Black man is president.
It's Fear. Fear doesn't give you courage or strength; it makes you hide in the dark and question the motives of everyone about everything. it scares you and makes you act without thinking; it makes you jump on a bandwagon full of other scared people.
To paraphrase FDR: There is nothing to Fear but the Fear Mongers themselves.
____________________

I was reading somewhere on the net....I wished I had saved to page and when i find it again, I'll put it up....that DOMA is the new Dred Scott Decision.
Now, I'd heard that gay is the new black, but this seemed new and interesting.
In a nutshell, the Dred Scott Decision said that slaves who ran away from their masters and moved to a state where slavery was illegal were still slaves, and would be returned to their owners. Just because they crossed state lines into a Free State did not make them free.
Well, now we have gay men and women, who married in California or Iowa or Massachusetts, but then move back to their own state, like say South Carolina, and they are not married.
It's the same thing.
it's separate but equal.
It's less than.
______________________

I will ask again, that people read for themselves. Lou Dobbs doesn't think for me any more than Glenn Beck does; I read for myself. i think for myself and I speak for myself.
But we have to listen, too.
Listen to who's fighting health care reform.
Drug companies and insurance companies. Do we really think that they have our best interests at heart? Haven't we seen drug companies and insurance giants do all they can to make a profit? Why do they care about it.
Why indeed.
Listen.
Think.
Read.
Speak.
Politely.

9 comments:

  1. Remember the last health care debate when the rhetoric, publicly, got as heated as Harry and Louise sitting around their kitchen table?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with those rants! Thats some fat to chew on and my head hurts a little from all those rants, but very valid rants. That newpaper one gets me more than any of them, something so simple and they can't print it! But don't get me wrong, I love your Paris rants too.LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and by the way- I love San Fran! You were so right about it Bob! I'll post some things next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:59 AM

    Almost all the blind fear we see is racism at it's base.

    What concerns me most is we now have the filibuster proof majority we need yet we're seeing little movement on the health care issue. This indicates to me that even our Democratic representatives are bought and paid for by the insurance and pharma industry.

    Of course they tried to kill Medicare/Medicaid in the 1960's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting about Dred Scott - definite comparison. Also Plessey vs Ferguson. They were overturned.

    Great rants!

    Thanks for the comment on my latest post. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting that both Limbocontin and Palin were advocates of living wills and planning for such decisions, before this health care debate heated up. Hmm. Ken and I are not quite 47, and we both have living wills. It's a good thing, people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think of that counseling part for ailing elders. I am used to being the counselor and don't really like to use my friends to wail about my own troubles much. I don't post much about my troubles on blogs either. I guess I do my share of talking about ailments when in the company of my own kind- welcome to the golden years set but generally speaking I don't think anyone wants to hear it.
    I don't know as there is a minister or particular friend I would let it all hang out with nowadays in my life. When I am truly distressed I kind of batten down the hatches.
    I am keenly aware at how much people are people and genuinely into their own lives and that empathy is limited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. let it out, it's good to do so

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......