Monday, August 10, 2009

Expecto Patronum!


That's Wizard-speak from the Harry Potter books for I await a protector.

Daniel Radcliffe, aka Harry Potter, has become a protector, of sorts, having recently made a sizable donation to the Trevor Project, a non-profit organization that operates a nationwide, around-the-clock suicide prevention helpline for LGBT youth.

Daniel Radcliffe: "I am very pleased to begin my support of The Trevor Project, which
saves lives every day through its critical work. It's extremely distressing to consider that in 2009 suicide is a top three killer of young people, and it's truly devastating to learn that LGBTQ youth are up to four times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers. I deeply hope my support can raise the organization's visibility so even more despondent youth become aware of The Trevor Helpline's highly trained counselors and Trevor's many other resources. It's vitally important that young people understand they are not alone and, perhaps even more important, that their young lives have real value."

Expecto patronum indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Indeed! Well done, Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:53 PM

    He'a good egg, you know.

    I knew it! I just knew it! The moment I first saw him!

    I'll, er, nick a bit of this guv - sure you don't mind.

    It'll be Good News for my end of the gay and bisexual group!

    You'll still get your link and your credit! And thanks for picking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on him for looking past the 'glamorous' charities and finding something where a real difference is being made.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......