Friday, August 14, 2009

Just A Thought

There are lines from books and songs and poetry that seem to stick with me a lot longer than other words. These lines, from Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True seem so apropos of what is happening in and around our country today, and they give me a sense of solace.

"I am not a smart man, particularly, but one day, at long last, I stumbled from the dark woods of my own, and my family’s, and my country’s past, holding in my hands these truths: that love grows from the rich loam of forgiveness, that mongrels make good dogs, that the evidence of God exists in the roundness of things. This much, at least, I’ve figured out. I know this much is true."

5 comments:

  1. I've got that same quote written on a piece of paper and tucked into the frame of my dressing table mirror. I think it's fabulous. What a great book eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT quote. I need to remember it.

    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have one lyric that comes up over and over again..."I don't know much, but I know i Love you" Just the inflection and voice quality of the singer hits me and I choke up...it really rings a chime.

    And the great song of faith from Joseph..."close every door to me, for I have been promised a land of my own." Tears everytime at just the thought. It's real affirmation for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Me-
    From Frank O'Hara:

    Now I am quietly waiting for
    the catastrophe of my personality
    to seem beautiful again,
    & interesting, & modern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou: it is one of my favorite books. Mysister says his newest book, 'The Hour I First Believed' is quite good, too.
    David: This quote does wonders for me.
    Charlie: "Close every door to me" affects me the same way!
    Stephen: Good quote. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......