Thursday, March 04, 2010

Showed His Face At Faces



I used to live in Sacramento. In fact, the house I lived in was just a few blocks from Faces, the gay nightclub in question here. Faces, while a gay bar, also has a diverse clientele; many straight people ::::gasp:::: go there for the music and the dancing, but let's not forget, it's a gay bar in the middle of a neighborhood affectionately known as "Lavender Heights.".

People often wondered why.

Not wondering, however, is one of California's most anti-gay Republicans, Senator Roy Ashburn, who was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving Faces. A California Highway Patrol [CHP] officer noticed a black Chevy Tahoe swerving through the downtown streets, and when the officer stopped the state-issued vehicle, the driver identified himself as Senator Ashburn. He was arrested without incident and charged with two misdemeanors: driving under the influence and driving with a blood alcohol level higher than .08% or higher.

Interestingly enough, Ashburn was leaving Faces with an unidentified male passenger, who was not detained. Ashburn was booked into the Sacramento County Jail and released on $1,400 bond.

Roy Ashburn, quite well known for a long history of opposing gay rights, and a father of four--he divorced his wife in 2003--released the obligatory statement after his post-gay nightclub arrest:
"I am deeply sorry for my actions and offer no excuse for my poor judgment. I accept complete responsibility for my conduct and am prepared to accept the consequences for what I did. I am also truly sorry for the impact this incident will have on those who support and trust me – my family, my constituents, my friends, and my colleagues in the Senate."

Effin' self-loathing closet case. Ashburn voted against a Senate resolution declaring Prop H8 unconstitutional; voted three times to oppose the creation of Harvey Milk Day; voted against California recognizing out-of-state same-sex marriages; voted to oppose an expansion of California's insurance laws to include sexual orientation as a protected class.
Once again. Effing.Self-loathing.Closet case.

3 comments:

  1. I am sure he was just offering that nice young boy a ride home from that bar, and was only helping him zip up his fly properly when the cops stopped him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:24 PM

    This is ALWAYS the case. I don't know why America doesn't wake up and recognize these homophobic politicians. The people who protest the most usually ARE what it is they are protesting to cover up their own indiscretions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh-huh
    hypocrites!
    not that you want to know this but I will tell you anyway...
    this guy in high school used to beg to give me a bj. I gave in and let him...and let him again...quite a few times. He is now a preacher...anti-gay...republican.
    how much you want to bet that he secretly goes to public parks to troll for dick? can u say "cover up"

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......