Friday, March 19, 2010

I Didn't Say It......

Constance McMillen, the lesbian student whose prom was cancelled because she wanted to wear a tuxedo and bring her girlfriend:
"Anytime I feel like this is too hard, I think about the support I'm getting. And I’m just ecstatic that so many people would come together like this. I never dreamed there could be so much support out there for me. It’s just amazing. I’m so thankful... The locals don’t like me, but I can’t help it. And things were really hostile in school last week after they cancelled prom. People were rude, and if people talked to me at all it was real short answers. There are a few people who are with me, my real friends, people who are intelligent enough to realize what's really going on here."

Henry Rollins, in Vanity Fair:
"Let the record speak for itself. The Catholic Church does not approve of homosexuality; their position on pedophilia, however, is not as clear. I am sure most Catholics do not approve of pedophilia, but the executive branch of Catholicism seems to have difficulty convincing some of us that they are willing to do what is necessary to make sure that the members of their staff who are active sexual predators are brought to justice."I can't see any sane person not wanting someone who harms innocent children taken out of circulation as soon as possible. Relocating them is tantamount to enabling them further. Maybe there should be a television show called To Catch A Priest. I'll watch. I think the expulsion of this child from the Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School is the best break the parents could have hoped for. Children should be raised in an environment of kindness and encouragement, not discrimination and ignorance."

Florida Congressman Alan Grayson, responding to Sarah Palin's attack on him:
"As the Knave's horse says in Alice in Wonderland, 'dogs will believe anything.' I'm sure Sarah Palin knows all about politics in Central Florida, since from her porch she can see Winter Park. I look forward to an honest debate with Governor Palin on the issues, in the unlikely event that she ever learns anything about them."


Arizona GOP Senate candidate and wingnut radio host JD Hayworth, comparing same-sex marriage to horse fucking:
"You see, the Massachusetts Supreme Court, when it started this move toward same-sex marriage, actually defined marriage -- now get this -- it defined marriage as simply, 'the establishment of intimacy.' Now how dangerous is that? I mean, I don't mean to be absurd about it, but I guess I can make the point of absurdity with an absurd point -- I guess that would mean if you really had affection for your horse, I guess you could marry your horse. It's just the wrong way to go, and the only way to protect the institution of marriage is with that federal marriage amendment that I support."

Iowa Family Policy Center's Chuck Hurley, anti-gay wingnut, citing a report this week by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control that showed gay men have higher rates of HIV and syphilis:
"The Iowa Legislature outlawed smoking in an effort to improve health and reduce the medical costs that are often passed on to the state. The secondhand impacts of certain homosexual acts are arguably more destructive, and potentially more costly to society than smoking. Homosexual activity is certainly more dangerous for the individuals who engage in it than is smoking....Because of their (legislators) unwillingness to correct the error of last April’s Iowa Supreme Court opinion, the Iowa Legislature is responsible for sanctioning activities that will lead to dramatically higher rates of HIV and syphilis in Iowa."

Josh Brolin, on playing Dan White in Milk:
"To me, when I look at a character, what makes it interesting for me is: What’s the redeeming value of who the person is, and how far did they have to jump to do the awful thing that they’ve done? I’d heard the confession of Dan White, and a very revealing thing for me was, he kept saying — this was an hour and a half after after he killed Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone. His fingertips were very hot. He remembers, from one shooting to the other, from walking across the City Hall, from Moscone's office to Harvey's office, that his fingertips were, uh, hot. I thought that was an interesting thing...I don’t like killing, as an actor. When I shot Sean Penn’s character in 'Milk,' there was a lot of joking going on at the moment because we couldn’t deal with the intensity of it. I would much rather be the person dying than the person killing."

Archbishop Desmond Tutu on hate:
"Hate has no place in the house of God. No one should be excluded from our love, our compassion or our concern because of race or gender, faith or ethnicity -- or because of their sexual orientation. Nor should anyone be excluded from health care on any of these grounds."

GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios on the cancellation of a gay storyline on One Life to Live:
“Last summer, One Life to Live brought a ground-breaking relationship into the homes of millions with Kyle and Fish’s story, one that built acceptance and understanding of gay people,. While we understand that the close of storylines is a frequent occurrence on daytime dramas, canceling this story just as it gains momentum is a step backward in ABC Daytime’s representation of the lives of gay Americans.”

Johnny Weir, on reports that the 'Stars on Ice Tour' is refusing to invite him:
“It’s for real. All because I am not family friendly enough. I understand I am a little outrageous but I wish I could perform for the fans...Maybe right now, just artistically and creatively, I’d love to have my own show, with musical acts, like maybe getting Lady Gaga! I don’t like to think there are any boundaries. Anytime you get men in glitter it’s flamboyant!”

Archbishop Charles Chaput, defending the Colorado school that denied re-enrollment to a boy because he has two mommies:
"The Church does not claim that people with a homosexual orientation are 'bad,' or that their children are less loved by God. Quite the opposite. But what the Church does teach is that sexual intimacy by anyone outside marriage is wrong; that marriage is a sacramental covenant; and that marriage can only occur between a man and a woman. These beliefs are central to a Catholic understanding of human nature, family and happiness, and the organization of society. The Church cannot change these teachings because, in the faith of Catholics, they are the teachings of Jesus Christ. [He added people with a different understanding of marriage and family life] have other, excellent options for education and should see in them the better course for their children."

3 comments:

  1. Some great quotes but I think I'm in love with Florida Congressman Alan Grayson
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing: The Catholic church did not recognize my second marriage (to a woman) which lasted almost 20 years... As we had both been married in the church (the first time) and chose not to have them annulled...

    I love the comparison to gays v: pedophiles though... The last parish I was a member of, had a pastor that was accused and convicted (in the church) and then moved to another parish... I knew there could have been something good if I had only agreed to be an alter-boy I may have come out alot earlier in my life!

    Keep up the great posts!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, Bob. nice recap

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......