Monday, January 22, 2024

Back

What a week or so. My father called me on a Tuesday to say that his cardiac doctor needed to see him right away at the hospital in Corvallis so I found a flight, packed a bag, and was on my way at 4:30 AM EST  the next day. With time differences and such I arrived at my Dad’s house at 9 PM PST … a long day. At my Dad’s house he said we’d needed to leave for the hospital around 3 AM to see the doctor first thing; I found a minute to sleep and then off we went.

At the hospital there was confusion as to why my Dad was there and he kept saying that his doctor asked him to come in and talk about aortic valve replacement; my father suffered from COPD and heart issues affect the breath as well, so replacing the valve would be good for his breathing. Trouble was, the cardiac team felt that his age, he’s ninety-one, and the health of his heart, not good, might make surgery too risky so they suggested medications and oxygen and then uttered to phrase …

“That’ll give you about six months.”

I hate that phrase because no one actually knows; it could be 6 days or weeks or months or even a few years and I hate the end date-ness of it all. But my Dad and I talked about the surgery and the risks and he decided to take the Go Home route. I reminded him of my mother …

In 2006 my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer; she did chemo, twice, and then radiation, and in early 2007 she said, “No more.” She had been a nurse and knew what was coming and she opted to stop treatment and just let nature take its course. Family came to visit and in early February 2007, she passed away in her home with my dad, my sister and I by her side. I felt it very peaceful.

And I told my dad that, for me, if you could pass away in your own home, with family by your side, as well as his dog, that might be the way to go; that’s what I would want for myself … the last faces I see being those of loved ones and pets and not doctors and nurses.

And he thought for a while and decided that would be his choice. They kept him in the hospital because he wasn’t allowed to be released with the oxygen and between a wicked winter ice storm and frigid temperatures, and the MLK Day holiday, he wasn’t able to get home until the following Wednesday. The next day hospice came in and made plans to be at his house three days a week to start to check on him,  his meds and such, and then, when the time comes that he cannot take care of himself we switch to full-time hospice care.

He doesn’t like that, but he also doesn’t have a choice; neither my brother nor I can be there full-time, though Carlos and I will visit often, so he’ll need to adjust, and when the time gets close, we’ll fly out as quickly as possible like we did with mom.

And Ashley, one of my nieces, has suggested she go up and stay with my Dad for a while; she's working an online job and so she can work anywhere. And as she says my Dad is her favorite relative, and he feels the same about her, it sounds like a plan. We have been speaking for the last few days and talkin g about what needs to be done, and how stubborn my Dad can be and how she needs to approach that, but I think it will work out quite nicely.

All I want is a peaceful transition for my Dad; he’s stubborn as Hell, so who knows when that will happen, but when it does I will be there with Carlos and my brother to send him off.

It’s all you can do really.

So, I’m home and thankful to be here and thankful for the people in my life, for Carlos and his support and strength and listening ear, and in the internet world, for all of your thoughts and good vibes. I am not a man who prays but a positive thought is always welcome, and for that I am greatly appreciative.

56 comments:

  1. Krayolakris9:30 AM

    My heart goes out to you and your family, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end, we'll all be fine. It's just changes and as long as you're ready for them, you can get through them.
      But still, thanks for that, I mean it.

      Delete
  2. You're being the son we would all wish to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now you're just making me misty-eyed!!

      Delete
  3. How lucky your father is to have you and Carlos, your brother and your niece - I hope he enjoys his time with you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an adjustment because he's annoyingly stubborn, but we'll get to it, and through it.

      Delete
  4. I know what you're going through; my mom made the same decision when it was her time to stop fighting the cancer. I was able to be with her along with my dad to provide the support she needed. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but also grateful that you have the support you need. Don't forget we're all here for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll all rally around, and have people in place to do the things we can't, and hopefully this end of life journey is peac-filled for all of us, but especially my Dad.

      Delete
  5. My heart goes out to you at this tough time. Sending my best wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, but each day we get something settled, I feel like we're on the right path toward wherever that might be.

      Delete
  6. Your dad is a very fortunate man to have family (in the first place) and ones that are so devoted to him. I'm keeping positive thoughts for a happy, grateful, and peaceful tme. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitchell. At least we kind of know where we stand, and have a plan. We'll keep one another going.

      Delete
  7. Sending many positive thoughts for your Dad, you and your family. It's so great that your niece Ashley will stay with him in addition to the hospice staff. Wishing everyone peace and strength for the time to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley has really stepped up; she's a good kid, though she's not a kid any longer!
      Thanks for the wishes, it means a lot.

      Delete
  8. That 'six months' comment is guaranteed to keep you on edge for that amount of time, should it be true - and for even longer if longer is the case. Here's hoping you can get through the coming time without too much debilitating anguish. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raybeard.
      I hate the "time limit" though I know it's not an exact science and this will be on my Dad's terms.
      As it should be.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:56 AM

    Thanks for being that kind of person and son. Your dad is blessed top have you and Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always say, "You do what you can."

      Delete
  10. This is exactly how I would want my children to react if/when that happens to me. It's wonderful that you will be there for each other and him. How sweet of your niece to step in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling a bit less stressed now that things are falling into place.
      Thanks Ellen.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous11:33 AM

    the dog's mother
    Blessings to you and Carlos, your Dad
    and your entire family.
    xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home.
    Words fail.

    Peace.
    Will Jay



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those words you said, especially the first two and that last one, mean everything!

      Delete
  13. These situations are difficult and painful to deal with, but you've done it gracefully and with foresight. There are no perfect solutions although what you've collectively decided seems as perfect as you can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're just making our decisions on what my Dad wants, what hospice suggests, and what we can do. I hope it continues to work smoothly.

      Delete
  14. My father died of lung cancer. I think he did everything possible but it just spread too far. But he was ready to go when his time came

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my hope is that my Dad can go smoothly and quietly and peacefully.

      Delete
  15. Cleora Borealis12:58 PM

    I continue to be amazed at how disorganized the world is when it comes to end-of-life decisions. End-of-life is going to happen no matter what, so why is the bureaucratic mind so eager to fill it with rules and paperwork and demands?! 🤬 Dignity, loved ones, and freedom from pain should be the only rules and I'm happy for your family that your father is finding his way toward a peaceful ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be a peace-filled time for all of us, especially my Dad, and I hope we can make sure that happens.

      Delete
  16. Nothing but peace, comfort, and minimum pain for Dad.

    May the entire family rally around Dad as you remember the good times and comfort one another.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a hard road to travel. My step mother nursed my father at home until he died. She did have a little outside help but none of us realised the strain on her at the time and we regret not thinking more about that at the time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hospice is a wonderful thing, not only for the patients but for the family.

      Delete
  18. My heart goes out to you. I know this is a very difficult time as Michael just went through this with his dad. Life is sure bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about Sy. All we want to do is make the rest of his time peace-filled.

      Delete
  19. Awww babes!
    That's hard. I wish I had your strength. It's a very difficult situation but you (and the family) have a great attitude. Sending good vibes and a hug for your dad...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Six. We're doing whatever it is we can do.
      xoxo

      Delete
  20. Sorry to hear this. How wise of you to deal with this inevitability so maturely. Believe me, it will make a good difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only way, being rational and calm. Anything else and nothing gets done.

      Delete
  21. aussieguy8:25 PM

    What a great son your dad has! You listened to all, helped him sort through the options, gave him some gentle and well-meaning words, and then (correctly) allowed him to make the decision. All of this could not have been easy for you. I’ve been there twice and I know first-hand the toll it will take on you. Please lean on Carlos and anyone else you count on (we’re here for you) to make this manageable. Your niece is a godsend at this time! You have been, and will continue, to be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, Carlos is My Person and he's here for all my rants and rages and worries and frustrations.

      Delete
  22. Skepticat10:14 PM

    Welcome home, and rest well knowing your dad, with your wise help, made an excellent decision at a very hard time. I've done hospice care a number of times for friends and family, and as you know because of your mother's wise choice, it really is the best, perhaps only, way to a graceful and comfortable departure. We're all holding you, your dad, Carlos, and your family (yay, Ashley!) in our hearts and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a huge proponent for hospice, for the patient as well as the family.
      My father stubbornly refused to believe my mother's life was ending and he would tell me she was fine; but then I called the hospice nurse and she urged me to go back out to Oregon and I was able to say my goodbyes and to actually be in the room when my mother peacefully passed.

      Delete
  23. It does sound like the best plan and I hope my own eventual departure from life is as easily worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs to think rationally and thoughtfully and be open to any discussion. I give my dad props for that.

      Delete
  24. While most medical personnel are indeed very compassionate, “That’ll give you about six months.” is indeed very callous. I'm so sorry, but thank goodness your lovely niece will be moving in with dad. I'm glad dad was able to make his own decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like those phrases either; I think they serve no purpose because they are rarely accurate.
      Ashley has really stepped up and I will always love her for that.

      Delete
  25. I think your dad made a wise choice. How hard for you, but I'm so happy to read that you have so much love and family support at this difficult time. I hope your dad spends his remaining time (and who really knows how long that will be!) focusing on the quality of that time and trying to find peace and joy. I'm not a praying person but you and my family will be in my thoughts and I send you all my very best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer.
      I am with you in the good thoughts, as an also non-praying person. Our goal is to make whatever time is left easy for my dad, comfortable and peace-filled.

      Delete
  26. Welcome home, and take care of yourself. Hospice, well done, makes life better to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hospice workers are angels.

      Delete
  27. Thanks for the update Bob. How wonderful it must be for a stubborn old man to have a grown-up son who loves him so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, the stubborn old man has a stubborn son, too!

      Delete
  28. These decisions are never easy but it sounds like you and your dad are taking a sensible approach. And how great that your niece can stay with him! My thoughts are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve.
      My dad was a teacher and it was always about a lesson plan then and about a life and death plan now.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......