Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"Baby Killer!" "You Lie!" "F****t!" "N****r!"

Words from a school yard? No.
Street fight? Not exactly.
These are words and names being hurled at our elected officials in our Capital building; some by other elected officials, and others by folks who don't know how to argue or make a point without some sort of derogatory words bandied about.
The latest loose tongue is from Texas, of course. Republican Congressman Randy Neugebauer was the mysterious lawmaker who shouted “baby killer” during Bart Stupak’s speech Sunday night.
Rumors that Neugebauer was the one who shouted out began swirling Sunday night, after several lawmaker surmised that the scream was tinted with a southern accent. Some said they knew where the shouter was seated; some say they knew exactly who yelled. Of course, they all stayed silent.
Then, yesterday, when more and more people began suspecting Neugebauer, his office finally admitted that he is the congressman who doesn't know how to behave; doesn't know how to have a civil disagreement.
Randy Neugebauer's non-apologetic apology:
“Last night was the climax of weeks and months of debate on a health care bill that my constituents fear and do not support. In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the phrase ‘it’s a baby killer’ in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership. While I remain heartbroken over the passage of this bill and the tragic consequences it will have for the unborn, I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself.”
Let's break it down. He says he didn't say "baby killer" in reference to Stupak, who is decidedly Pro-life, but rather he said "it's a baby killer" in reference to health care. That's not what anyone else heard; it's not even what I heard. Everyone heard "baby killer." And, of course, ever the politician, Neugebauer never actually apologized. No, the Apology For The 21st Century is the non-apology. He isn't sorry. He's sorry you misinterpreted what he said.
So, it's my fault. Apparently.
Well, Mr. Neugebauer, it isn't my fault you can't control your mouth. It isn't my fault you're an offensive idiot. It isn't my fault that you sit in the back of the room, in shadows, surrounded by your other bully friends, and shout insults out and then try to hide. At least until the rumor mill gets going and you're forced to take repsonisbility for your bad behavior.
House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn called on each of the more than a dozen Republican members who applauded Neugebauer to apologize to the full House, and thinks Neugebauer should apologize to the full Congress for disgracing the institution during a formal session.
I think he should apologize to America.
Try this Randy: "I'm sorry I was rude and stupid. I'm sorry I don't know any better."
And then get out of office.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say anything, but keep it civil .......