Friday, March 05, 2010

I Didn't Say This, Either


Neil Patrick Harris, to a fan who follows him on Twitter, asking for advice on "coming out as gay”:
“Stand tall. Be proud of who you are. Don’t break promises. Want to learn. Represent well. But more than anything, be safe.”

Susan "Cindy Brady" Olsen on the reported feud between TV sisters Eve "Jan Brady" Plumb and Maureen "Marcia Marcia Marcia Brady" McCormick after McCormick hinted at a lesbian relationship between the two of them in her autobiography Here's The Story:
"I don't like there to be a rift in the family. I love them both and this means whenever we get together for any project there will only be one or the other. But I do understand Eve's point of view. She got tired of Maureen gaining attention for herself by regurgitating the tiresome and false insinuations that they had a lesbian affair."

TV Judge Greg Mathis on a case recently televised between two men that dealt with one of them possibly being in the closet:
"If you are [gay] I think you should be up front about it. So many young men and women try to stay in the closet because their family and friends might be biased, or what have you. Forget about them. Be who you are."

Lady GaGa, on an ex-boyfriend:
"I had a boyfriend who told me I'd never succeed, never be nominated for a Grammy, never have a hit song, and that he hoped I'd fail. I said to him, 'Someday when we're not together, you won't be able to order a cup of coffee at the fucking deli without hearing or seeing me'."

Kate Winslet, aka the British Meryl Streep, on why she keeps her Oscar in the loo:
“Because basically everybody wants to touch it, everybody wants to hold it and go ‘Oh, my gosh,’ and ‘How heavy is it?’ So I figured if I put it [in the bathroom], then people can avoid the whole, ‘Where’s your Oscar?’ thing.”

Senator John "Dammit! It was my turn to be President!" McCain on why Admiral Mullen's statements aren't enough to satisfy his 2006 statement that if military leaders say the policy should be changed, that's what should happen:
"As I said back then, we need to have a careful examination. And Admiral Mullen was, as quote, speaking personally. Just this week the commandant of the Marine Corps said that he did not want DADT repealed. There are many in the military who do not want to. We are going to go through, hopefully, a year-long study that will, hopefully, also, have the feelings of the men and women who are serving."
Daniel Radcliffe on the LGBT community:
"I grew up knowing a lot of gay men and it was never something that I even thought twice about -- that some men were gay and some weren't. And then I went to school and (for) the first time ... I came across homophobia. I had never encountered it before. It shocked me. I have always hated anybody who is not tolerant of gay men or lesbians or bisexuals. Now I am in the very fortunate position where I can actually help or do something about it."

Howard Stern on Ellen Degeneres, and American Idol:
"Ellen has said she won't work with me, but quite frankly, after watching her on the stupid show, I gotta tell ya, I won't work with Ellen. She's out if I come in."

Doug Spearman on being an out actor and Black history Month:
"What Black History Month invited me to do, encouraged me to do, and still makes me strive to do is reach way beyond the late-twentieth century comfort zone I was raised in and do something. SOMETHING. Something that matters. Something that makes a difference. Something that helps. The people I learned to honor, revere, and respect were all doers. They changed the world for the better. And every February I think about my frosty teacher and her clipped Yankee voice and I thank her for warming my mind and spirit to possibility. To what I could and would do with my life. To making some humble contribution to Black History.It’s why as an actor, I chose to be an out, gay Black actor. Doing that, I took a risk; I made a decision that for years people in the entertainment industry considered career suicide. To be black and an actor is hard enough, but to call yourself gay on top of that? Screwed from the gate. But I also realized that nothing changes if nothing changes....So, I came out. And I’ve managed to have a bit of a career, too. It might be bigger if I’d chosen to be closeted, but then again, it might not."

Joan Rivers On Victoria Beckham:
"Victoria Beckham is so nasty. Why doesn't she just go home? Her dresses are beautiful, but I don't care what she does. She's mean to all the people around her. She's too short to be a diva. We all use the same hairdressers, make-up artists, limo-drivers and greeters at the airports in LA and nobody has anything nice to say about her. They say she's rude. She can't always just be having a bad day. ....You want to say: Calm down, you were a Spice Girl. The arrogance when she walks into a room is astonishing."

4 comments:

  1. Some great quotes there...
    Love the ones from Neil, Daniel & Judge Mathis.
    &
    You go Ga-Ga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Very thoughtful. Thanks for posting these. It is interesting to hear what people think in terms of what they choose to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best part of NPH's quote: "Represent Well."

    And Joan River's quote is just simply hilarious! I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:17 PM

    Great quotes! I have the Brady Girls can patch things up.

    Love Joan's quote! So true. I can personally say how polite and down-to-earth Joan is behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......