Monday, March 23, 2009

Why Is It So Cold?


We've had cold mornings in Smallville the past few days. It's warmed up into the high 60s and low 70s, but the mornings have been hovering around 34 degrees. So, we've had the heat on each morning at Chez Bob'n'Carlos, or Casa Roberto y Carlos.

This morning Carlos gets up first and I hear him fumbling in the hallway toward the thermostat, and soon, what i think of as heat, comes on. And it warms up somewhat; we have a nice breakfast, we chat about this'n'that, and off to work he goes. I trot back to the computer to email and blog and surf and what have you, and it just is not warning up in the house. I mean, it's a little overcast outside and I'm thinking it's cold, so a sweater goes on, and the slippers slide on, and still, I chill.

Then it hits me, maybe Carlos didn't turn up the heat to a decent temperature, and so i check the thermostat; he set it for 68, which is where we like to keep it. But it's still cold in the house. I head to the nearest vent and BAM cool air is flowing out.

I immediately fall into, heating repair costs and extra expenses and, maybe we shouldn't have gone to the movies and dammit why did I buy two bottles of Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc yesterday. This is not an expense I want.

Wait. Let me check again.

Oh, he didn't just turn the heat on, he turned the fan on, too. So when the heat stops, the cool air keeps blowing.

One click, and all is warming up nicely in Smallville.

6 comments:

  1. I love your Carlos stories....when do we get to see him in all his glory????

    XOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:17 PM

    You need one of those auto-setback thermostats. They're less than $50 and they run full auto mode. That way you just set ylur desired temp to kick on say a half hour before you wake. And then have it drop the temp to say 57F overnight and then back up next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dontcha just love those panicky moments?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kind of cold here in L.A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has happened in our building at work, which is why all thermosats are now locked up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its chilly here too; in the 30s most mornings. I am SO ready for spring and warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......