Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What Would You Do?

from Towleroad:
There's a segment on ABC's 20/20 called What Would You Do?
They create situations in public places and then watch what happens. This time they chose a sports bar in New Jersey and hired a gay couple, Dusty St. Amand and Dominic Benevento, to, well, just be themselves, on a night out for a drink. They also hired an actor to stir the pot, with comments and insults,
I must say. the reactions of most of the people in the bar made me feel good.
Now, what made me feel strange, happened to Carlos and I when we went to see I Love You, Man on Sunday. The story is about a man, Peter Klaven, who has no real male friends and is sort of looking for a male friend to be his best man for his upcoming wedding. He goes on several man dates that end horribly. On one such date he hits it off with a guy, and as they leave the restaurant and make plans to meet again, the guy leans in and kisses Peter full on the mouth, 'tongues and all,' as he describes it.
The audience in the theater had been laughing at all the right parts, but the minute man lips touched another set of man lips, and a tongue came out, there was a few quiet laughs, mostly some gasps and groans, and a couple of Oh god's.
As Carlos and I laughed at the scene, I felt slightly uncomfortable in that room.
And it shouldn't be like that.

6 comments:

  1. I am so proud of that woman at the end. And that little prick who was making comments and then in front of the cameras said it didn't bother him? Prick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are lucky in chicago that it for the most part is a pretty open city. Not that Luis and I are making out in public, but there are not too many places that we feel uncomfortable in.

    Now go outside the city limits, and ita a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God love those Jersey folks! Most of them stepped up to the plate and were so cool. Except, as a previous commenter said, that little prick at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to say this, but my husband would one of those men. the haters, not the gay guys! ;) we fight about this constantly, and now he's turning my one son into a homophobe too. I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been in the same palce before also durning a movie. If you can't even watch a movie with guys kissing in it and they laugh and start the "OH Gods" comments, I think this just immature myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That happened during Milk. Some woman behind me groaned when they kissed and said something like "ugh." Then later on she did it one more time. Later on my friend and I discussed it and wondered why she was so rude about it.

    No, it shouldn't be like that.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......