Friday, March 27, 2009

RascalRant

Rascal Flatts, or Gary LeVox, Jay DeMarcus, and Joe Don Rooney, the trio who make up the group, have released a new single called "Love Who You Love."

Some of their fans, of which I am not--not because I don't like them, because I don't know them.....I don't really follow country music much, except for my Dixie Chicks--are interpreting the song as an anthem of acceptance and love for their gay fans because of its non-gender-specific lyrics.

The band is welcoming that interpretation, but are they welcoming it because they like the idea, or they like the idea of a hit record?
"We actually have some gay people that work with us, and we have a lot of friends that are gay, too, and I know that this song has inspired them. I know that coming out was tough on their parents and on them and the whole entire family. For a long time, some of them didn’t get to hear ‘I love you’ from their dads or be accepted in that way. It’s helped a lot of our friends."--Gary LeVox
Nice sentiment, but please, can we all make a pledge to stop using that old  "Some of my best friends are gay" chestnut?
“That’s what’s cool about our music. You can interpret (it like) that. If you get that — it’s perfect. If you are someone who’s gay or someone who’s straight, you still feel something from the song, and that’s what we want.”--Don Rooney
Or, do you want another gold record, so you'll do and say anything to sell it?
“We don’t judge anybody’s lives."--Jay DeMarcus
How noble of you.

Maybe I'm just a bit cynical today. Maybe not.

7 comments:

  1. I understand, but they are trying

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the diff Bob? As long as the message is one of tolerance what does it matter about their motive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess my problem is that I don't like being exploited for someone else's profits.
    They have never written a gender-nonspecific tune before, and now they are all gay-friendly?
    In country music?
    Country music, next to hiphop is the most homophobic music out there.
    It just all seems to tied up neatly with a bow on it.

    I am being cynical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the word tolerance. I don't want to be tolerated. Of course every music group wants a hit record, but it doesn't seem to me this is an expoitation. It sounds like the message of the song is good, though I haven't heard it -- just going by your description. It sounds like they have to point out that they are NOT gay, but they know of gays. I can see how that kind of statement can make them sound condescending. Country music is very conserative, so they should get some credit for even talking about the gays, even if they did it clumsily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to take up for them. They're doing what Harvey Milk wanted straight people would do - get to know some gay people, make decisions based on that knowledge, and tell others. Harvey Milk also wanted gay people to come out of the closet for several reasons. One of them was to let others know who you are and how many people actually know each other.

    Trust me, supporting civil rights for gays isn't the way to have a country hit record. Saying they're exploiting you is like saying the Dixie Chicks exploited the soldiers to speak out against the war.

    I've made blunders when I've said things and will again, I'm sure. It's a journey to become enlightened, and you keep talking about baby steps. Give us a break when we try.

    That little poster on my blog about "another straight person for marriage equality" is on there not to be sure someone doesn't think I'm gay or that I'm being condescending but to show that not only gay people are for what is a civil rights issue to me. I didn't have to be black to vote for civil rights for blacks and other minorities. Same here.

    I don't really know Rascal Flats either (do like that song about the broken road and some others), but this is my rant! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get what you're all saying, really, I do, and Joy, come on over here and rant all you want.
    I love a good discussion.
    I guess what my point is, and maybe I'm not making it clear, is that Rascal Flatts has never been considered "gay friendly" by any stretch of the imagination; nor has country music in general.
    So when Rascal Flatts sings a gender neutral song, and their fans take it up as gay friendly, they jump on the bandwagon.
    That's the part that annoys me. They never considered it gender neutral, or that it could be gay friendly, until someone told them, and THEN they came out all proud.
    And that's the part that bugs me.
    Now, if they continue writing gender neutral tunes, then i will applaud them from here to Music Row.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have to admit that was a pretty good rant on my part! I thought I made some valid points. I totally get what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......