Friday, January 27, 2012

I Didn't Say It........

Neil Patrick Harris, on falling in love with David Burtka:
"I remember being in my mid-twenties, lying in bed thinking, I’ve never taken a shower with anyone before; I’ve never had any kind of long-term relationship. I remember thinking that the rest of my life would be solo. I wasn’t weepy when I thought that--it was just a realization that I had gone this long being self-sufficient."

I know exactly what he's talking about.
i was single for quite a while before Carlos and i thought that was just how it would be; and I was feeling okay with that.
You just never know what's waiting out there for you, around a corner or across the country.

"Pastor" Ken Hutcherson, on Washington Governor Christine Gregoire:
"She might as well change her name to John Wilkes Booth because what she’s doing now is trying to put a bullet in the head of one of the greatest traditions that has ever existed and has built our society, and that is marriage between one man and one woman."

Wow.
Kenny, you sure can over-reach. Makes me wonder how, as a Black man, you felt when Blacks and Whites couldn't marry, and then marriage was redefined to make that union legal.
Did you spit and fire and brimstone then, or is it just because this is Civil Rights for gay folks that has your granny panties in a bunch?

Jim Bob Duggar, on transgender Girl Scouts: 
"Our family loves Girl Scout cookies and I don't think allowing a boy in the Girl Scouts is a good thing...If they're wanting to create a new scout program where girls and boys would join together, that might be an option. But whether somebody declares they're a boy or girl and can join either one -- it isn't even logical and it goes against the core principles the group was founded on."

Let's just make anyone who doesn't fit the mold of what society deems normal live in their own separate world, eh, Jim Bob?
But, what then might you do if society says a man and woman who have nineteen children, and counting, is different?

Hudson Taylor, on LGBT athletic coaches coming out:
"If college athletics is ever to be free of the obstacles keeping coaches closeted, we must first acknowledge the presence of LGBT coaches among college teams. Currently, the college athletic community devotes little time and few resources to identifying this population and assessing the challenges they face."

And wouldn't it be much easier for gay players to come out of the coaches came out. And easier for the coaches if gay players came out.
It's just easier. No lying or hiding or shame.

Michael Fassbender, on his habit of being nude on screen:
“From the start of my career, I’ve been naked. My first job was a commercial for SAS airlines. In the spot, I wake up in a pink room next to a beautiful blonde girl and get out of bed naked. From that point forward, it’s been in all of my contracts: He must be naked in this film.”

And this is a problem because.......?
I mean, it's true; the man good play nude golf and not need a club.
Just sayin'.

Tricia Erickson, speaking on the Voice Of Christian America radio show about Mormons:
"The political machinery of the priesthood of the Mormon Church is named the Kingdom of God and/or the Government of God, and the goal of the Mormon Church, through the Mormon Kingdom of God, is to bring the United States government, this is true, under the rule of the priesthood, the Mormon priesthood. Mormons believe that they are the only true church, all other religions are false, and their main objective is to be ready when the time comes for the millennial reign by having their leaders ready to rule or already in key places of authority and power. Their ultimate goal is better serve their agenda by being able to rule and govern before the millennium actually takes place and the Mormon Church and its corporate empire, assets and resources will be the chief element in the millennial overthrow of the United States government."

I love when people who call themselves Christians denigrate other religions, and then cry fowl when someone does the same to theirs.
Judge not, Erica.....you moronic tool.

Kate Kendell, head of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, speaking to Karen "Missus Frothy Mix" Santorum: 
"Karen, we need to talk. And by that, I mean that I need to talk and you need to listen. You love your husband--I get that. You love your faith--fine by me. But when you pretend that hate is love, that lies are truth, and that victims are oppressors, you have become insane. Your husband believes that LGBT people cannot be trusted to serve in the military, raise children, form stable relationships or be fully respected under the law. According to you, Rick may love us, but honey, his love is killing us, and we want nothing to do with this abusive relationship. Our community has endured expulsion from family, mass firings, daily epithets, assaults, harassment, humiliation, death, and suicides. We know that if your husband becomes president of our country our long suffering will only deepen and magnify. [snip] You and Rick are the haters. My community is the victim, and anyone paying attention knows the truth."

Thanks Kate for making it very clear when religious folks trot out the 'Love the sinner, hate the sin' rhetoric, they actually mean, Hate the sin, hate the sinner.'
So, effing-Christlike.

Dan Savage, on Newt and The Open Marriage:
Calista never wavered from the path of deceit and betrayal. Newt Gingrich was making an implicit promise to socially conservative voters: He did not ask his most recent ex-wife for an open marriage, and he will not ask any of his future ex-wives for an open marriage."

It was kind of sadly sick and twisted that Newt stated emphatically that he never asked for an open marriage while he was fucking the help, er, aide.
This just means that he wanted to fuck the help, and keep the wife, until she got sick, and then he divorced her and married the help.

Chris Christie, on Newt The Cheater:
"We all know the record. He was run out of the speakership of his own party, he was fined $300,000 for ethics violations. This is a guy who’s had a very difficult political career at times and has been an embarrassment to the party. The fact of the matter is I don’t need to regale the country with that entire list again except to say this. I’m not saying he will do it again in the future, but sometimes past is prologue."

Newt can atone for his marital sins, and pronounce himself forgiven. Good for him, he buys it. I don't. Once a lying hypocrite, always a lying hypocrite.
But he can never explain away his political past, and, well, history does repeat.

Cynthia Nixon, on choosing to be gay:
“I gave a speech recently, an empowerment speech to a gay audience, and it included the line ‘I’ve been straight and I’ve been gay, and gay is better.’ And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that homosexuality can be a choice. And for me, it is a choice. I understand that for many people it’s not, but for me it’s a choice, and you don’t get to define my gayness for me. A certain section of our community is very concerned that it not be seen as a choice, because if it’s a choice, then we could opt out. I say it doesn’t matter if we flew here or we swam here, it matters that we are here and we are one group and let us stop trying to make a litmus test for who is considered gay and who is not. As you can tell, I am very annoyed about this issue. Why can’t it be a choice? Why is that any less legitimate? It seems we’re just ceding this point to bigots who are demanding it, and I don’t think that they should define the terms of the debate. I also feel like people think I was walking around in a cloud and didn’t realize I was gay, which I find really offensive. I find it offensive to me, but I also find it offensive to all the men I’ve been out with.”

Let me set you queer, Cyn.
A woman who was attracted to men and had sexual relations with men, and then finds herself attracted to women and having sexual relations with women, is, in fact, gay. And, narrowed down, bisexual.
I know you said you don't like the word bisexual, but you are. There's a 'B' in LGBT for a reason. And you do a great disservice to those of us who know being gay is not a choice, when you say you chose it. You were born bisexual, you didn't choose bisexual, but, beaing bisexual, you can choose which sex to whom you are attracted; I, as a gay man, cannot.

Mittsy Romney, on Newt:
“Speaker Gingrich has also been a leader,. He was a leader for four years as speaker of the House. And at the end of four years, it was proven that he was a failed leader and he had to resign in disgrace. I don’t know whether you knew that, he actually resigned after four years, in disgrace. He was investigated over an ethics panel and had to make a payment associated with that and then his fellow Republicans, 88 percent of his Republicans voted to reprimand Speaker Gingrich. He has not had a record of successful leadership.”

Which makes him only a hair bit worse as a GOP candidate for president than the flip-flopping out of touch, dog abuser, that you are, Mittsy.
But thanks for sharing.

Martin O'Malley, on his Maryland marriage equality bill:
"We have done our very best in the drafting of this bill to make very, very, very explicit the protections of religious liberty as well as the protection of rights equally under the law, and it’s my hope that that will not only allow more support in the House of Delegates but, as importantly, I hope it will allow more people throughout our state to be able to support this bill,. One does not have to be an advocate for same-sex marriage in order to support equal rights under the law.”

It's equality.
It's law.
It does not, and should not, affect churches.
Separation of church and state, people. The church can't tell the government what to do--or they shouldn't--and the government cannot do the same to churches.
Can't have it any other way.

8 comments:

  1. Re: Cynthia Nixon, well said Bob. Bisexuals have the ability to choose. The rest of us, gay and straight, do not. I'm happy for her that she is bisexual and I'm happy that she can choose which gender to have sex with, but it is wrong for her to imply that just because she can choose that the rest of us can choose too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The proposed exceptions in the Maryland bill are nearly identical to what was included in RI Civil Unions law.

    It's bad law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken Hutcherson - the fly in our latte here in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Friday posts! Thanks again!

    NPH can do no wrong in my eyes.

    Duggar is guilty of crimes against nature.

    Kate Kendell is a hero. I wish more people could hear her thoughts.

    Cynthia Nixon is delusional. I wish fewer people could hear her thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three things Bob, 1, I 'd been more then happy to shower with Neil Patrick anytime, 2- I be more than happy to hold, and carry, Mr Fassbender's club, and 3, where did Christie find a suit that size?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Actually Bob, I share the imagination that you and NPH had of a relationship. My problem was in the idealization. I knew that I wanted to be with someone and to share a life. Of course, I may have put it on a pedestal at first. I made it the only acceptable relationship. I eventually got pretty disillusioned, but I came back, luckily.

    2. I can't believe his name is seriously, legally, Jim Bob. This is like that one ad where there was a guy named Bubba Joe Bob Roy that I remember hearing as a kid.

    3. Doesn't every religion believe itself to be the true word of god? I thought that's why there were all these fractures and schisms in the churches?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore NPH and the photos of he and David from Out magazine (I think that was where they were) were beautifully done.

    As for Cynthia Nixon...well here is my thing. Ya'll know that as a conservative I am very cut and dry about things. I understand gay, this is how you were made, like any other characteristic and I accept and love you for who you are. Its no different than me having blue eyes or red hair in my mind. I have a harder time with bisexual, and I don't know why. I think because I never thought of being gay as a choice. Sorry rambling I know. I try to accept everyone for who they are, I guess sometimes I have a harder time with this.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......