Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Architecture Wednesday: Summer Lovin'

We've had a cold week here in Smallville, and it got me thinking: I need a summer home. Something sleek and clean and simple, with a pool, maybe by the water, and not too far from home so I can make a mad dash out there every weekend.
Well, then, imagine my surprise when I stumbled across this 5,200-square-foot house--and its 960-square-foot pool house--resting peacefully on an acre overlooking Tabbs Creek, a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay on the Northern Neck of Virginia.
Perfection.
My guests, and I will have guests--the pool is just ripe for Mistress Maddie lounging in a caftan with a large tumbler of gin--approach the house through a loosely enclosed courtyard, surrounded by the pool and pool house; a long pergola conceals views of a neighboring house. But then the house literally opens up to creek views and to the pool.

The house is really just two long rectangular pavilions around by a stair tower--for those dramatic entrances. The larger pavilion contains the public spaces on the first floor and bedrooms on the second, while the smaller pavilion is just for the master suite.
The house was designed to guarantee every room a water view. Both pavilions have shed roofs pitched up to offer the most expansive views of the creek; the main living space and the master bedroom are located at this edge and therefore have the highest ceilings and the best views. And for the best view of all, climb up the stair tower to the third floor crow’s nest and take in the view of the Chesapeake Bay to the east.
The house does look a little municipal in materials, but then they were chosen for long-term durability and low maintenance; and, seriously, with those views, who will be looking at the walls?
Everyone into the pool!


via Architectural Record

5 comments:

  1. LOVE! I love all the open space and white. It won't clash with the boldness of the caftans and turbans. And we love dramatic entrances and the pool is more than ripe!!!! Let me know when you buy and I be there sweetcheeks! It will be a entertaining night....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Large tumbler" of gin for Maddie?!? Oh honey ... you're gonna need a barrel, or at least a bucket. As well as a HUGE line of credit at the local liquor store.

    And I say that with love, of course.

    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:28 AM

    I'm getting a quote for a loan and a moving truck to haul my stuff across the country as we speak. I. Am. In. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really longing for Summer now. If I close my eyes, I can imagine being there, lounging by the pool while your pool boy fetches the martinis.

    Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I LOVE this house. It is a Steve Jobs House, minimalist perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......