Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Architecture Wednesday: Split Personality

So, I was trolling the interwebz looking for something to post, something that tickles my architectural boner, if you will, and I stumbled upon this interesting home.
Modern. Clean lines. Minimal. Yes, we have a winner.
And then as I perused the pictures of the backyard, and the pool area, and bits and pieces of the house, they finally revealed the facade of this beauty, which I will save for the end of this post. But, let's just say, this house, which I dub The Sybil, is really quite remarkable.
This project was done for a couple and their children, and included alterations to the front and a new, separate studio to the rear of the site. It was designed so that the spaces are adaptable to the changing needs of a family over time. The studio space can become an office, if need be; the entertainment room in the basement could become a home gym or playroom. 
And there's a central courtyard with a pool and access to the rear parking areas. The garden has also been carefully crafted to create its own secret garden, complete with designer cubby house. 
Plus, and this is the wave of the future, the house sits atop a 25,000 liter underground rain water harvesting tank. There are double glazed windows throughout, highly insulated walls floors and roof, and all of the wood used in the addition are locally resourced, sustainable, plantation timber cladding.
The addition appears to have been carved from a solid block, chiseled away to draw light into the home. Deep reveals form the windows to the upper floor to protect the gaze from the surrounding residences. An interior lightwell and water feature extend the garden space into the living spaces. 
There is an overwhelming sense of seclusion in both the house and garden that creates a type of space that is the family’s own, a retreat from busy lives and the surrounding urban chaos.
And now for the street facade, and why I call this house The Sybil.


Thank you Mood

10 comments:

  1. When you said it was modern, clean lines and minimal, I dodn't know if you meant the house or your architectural bonner!?! But it is a stunner, I love the size of it. The house not your...well......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like this house. So simple yet elegant...and practical. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:40 PM

    Now this is my style of home. Thanks for finding this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOOOVE it! I love the contemporary look, I'd totally live here. :) :)

    http://averyjamesphotography.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!
    And Arch.Wed, however after that 'tickle' comment, I shall now only be able to think of Wednesdays, as Homes that make you horny! And that is after all what the internet is about, right?
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it, but I would have really loved to see an interior shot of the facade to see how they incorporated that gingerbread and stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wrap it up, I'll take it! The house, not the architectural boner. Get your minds out of the gutter, you dirty Internet people....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second Mr Peenee. I want to see the room with that frontage!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wonder where people who live in houses like this put their stuff? You see no books, no keys, no appliances on the counters, no family photos, no artwork by nieces and nephews; in short, no hints that people even live there.

    A house without a soul. No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i will not lie but i cannot even dream of such a nice house at the moment,don't know about future. But i must say who ever is living in this house is very lucky , mainly i like the swimming pool :)

    Landscaping Hardwood

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......