Thursday, June 17, 2010

An Open Letter To Iowa


Dear Iowa,
You know how I feel about you, right?
I mean, once the whole marriage equality thing came to your state, I got that funny tingle in my belly. A square state in the middle that makes gay marriage legal? How could I not start to fall for you?
Then came word that some of your politicians and church leaders were working to change marriage equality. The politicians were only focusing on that one issue, and the churches were threatening to have their flocks vote against any politician who stood up for equality. But you didn't back down Iowa.
You let people, heck, the world, know that you didn't care about gay marriage; that it hasn't changed Iowa one bit. You told us all that there were more important things to worry about, you know, pesky things like the economy, wars, and something about oil in the Gulf.
You know where your priorities are, Iowa, and I love you for it.
But, and this is hard for me after all we've been through, but how can you possibly have a man like Steve King represent you, when every time he opens his mouth he sticks his homophobic racist feet in it?
Do me a favor, Iowa, tell Steve King you don't need his kind any more. Tell him you want a kinder, gentler Iowa. Tell Steve King that he's an--and forgive my language, Iowa--he's an asshat and must be voted from office.
You've set the bar for the rest of us, now set it higher and toss Steve King out.
My love always,
Bob

2 comments:

  1. I hate to be Debbie Downer here but it's not happening. I looked up the district he represents and it's a small rural one that probably lists liberals as an endangered species. Kind of like my district and how anyone named Duncan Hunter (both father and son) have Congressional jobs for life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:41 PM

    RJ is right, IA-5 is basically East Nebraska and isn't getting rid of King any time soon. Think of him like his northern neighbor and perennial crush Michele Bachmann- they're both absolute wignuts from otherwise level-headed, fairly progressive Midwestern states, and both are kept around primarily for comedic value.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......