Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Al Krieger: Another Non-Apology

“And I cannot believe that a bunch of lacy-drawered, limp-wristed people ... could do what those men have done in the past.” --Yuma Mayor Al Krieger, during a Memorial Day speech.

Lotsa folks went off about this blatant denigration of the LGBT community, and Krieger refused to apologize. In fact, he defended his remarks.

“I'm reluctant to compare myself to George Washington or Abraham Lincoln, but I did get some feedback, and I don't think I said anything different than what they would have said.”

Until now.

“As mayor I must respect the lifestyle choices of others, no matter how disagreeable they are with my personal beliefs or my personal moral standards. I apologize for my comments at the Memorial Day service at Desert Lawn cemetery on Memorial Day.”--Mayor Krieger's apology.

Um, forgive me, but I may have missed it. Where exactly was the apology?

I read the I'm apologize but I still don't see it. What I see is a backhanded half-assed attempt at an apology while still being bigoted and homophobic.

Mayor Krieger? You sir, are an asshat. Homosexuality isn't a lifestyle any more than being a dim-witted intolerant politician who has the uncanny ability to speak out of both sides of his ass is a lifestyle.

You don't like gay people. I get it. And that's okay; you don't have to like us. But you could refrain from denigrating us, and stereotyping us, and calling us names.

See, Mayor, you represent all the people of Yuma, and some of them may agree with you, and some may not. And the ones who don't agree with you just may show up at the polls next time and exercise their right to remove stupidity from office.

And they won't apologize for it.

3 comments:

  1. He'll probably never be able to see our potential or our abilities. He is certainly blinded by his homophobia. I agree his lame apology is nothing but PR spin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from YUMA. Born there, raised there. This douche bag was standing less than 30 feet from the graves of my Grandfather, he served in WWI, my Uncle, he served in WWII, and cousins. On behalf of my family we would like for this douche mayor to burn in hell. BTW I am glad I have not lived there for 40 years.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......