Friday, June 18, 2010

I Didn't Say It.....

Queen Latifah, speaking to Upscale Magazine, on being gay or not being gay:
"I don’t have to explain anything. I don’t have to confirm anything. Look, I need my time. I need my life....But still, I don’t feel like I need to explain. I’m the one living it. You write about it. You go ahead and speculate. I’ll just live it. I don’t feel like I need to explain things to a perfect stranger. The people who matter know. And they love me for Dana. I don’t have to tell Joe Blow. Joe, you worry about who YOU sleeping with."

No, maybe you don't need to explain it to me, or any number of other openly gay people, but, if you are gay, maybe some young Black girl, who is gay herself, can hear about you coming out, and feel just a little bit better about herself, not feel so alone, and maybe, not try to take her own life.
Wouldn't that be a good thing, Dana?

Kathy Griffin, on this season of My Life On The D-List:
"I embarrassed my mother once again., but I was so proud of my public pap smear in a bikini poolside. You're not going to see that s**t on f***ing Intervention, which robbed me of the Emmy last year. Those f***ers! Those goddamn crackheads. You're not going to see them in stirrups--just me, baby."

Now that's what I call Avert Your Eyes TV!

Broadway actor and singer, Josh Strickland, on why he decided to come out:
"It was from all that speculation during Tarzan. I was really tired of people making up their own answers. I’d rather just put it to rest and be myself. Nowadays it really doesn’t even matter. You see people coming out all the time, and it makes them stronger and happier. I didn’t want to be one of those souls struggling every day to fight who I am. I’m 10 times better just by being out and open about it. It makes my life so much happier. I have no regrets about anything."

Pass that sentiment on to Queen Latifah, Josh, and, um, call me?

Steve King, on Attorney General Eric Holder and President Obama's stance on Arizona's Immigration Bill:
"When you look at this administration, I'm offended by Eric Holder and the President also, their posture. It looks like Eric Holder said that white people in America are cowards when it comes to race. And I don't know what the basis of that is but I'm not a coward when it comes to that and I'm happy to talk about these things and I think we should. But the President has demonstrated that he has a default mechanism in him that breaks down the side of race--on the side that favors the black person."

Pot. Kettle. Racist.

Joan Rivers, on the Conan and Leno hubbub:
"I think they both came out of it such winners. Are you kidding? Leno's right back where he should be, boring America to sleep and getting great ratings. He's perfect! He doesn't rock the boat. You can go to sleep. He's not going to upset you. He's perfect. And Conan got more publicity than he ever got, and he walked away with $45 million."

Joan knows whereof she speaks. Years ago, when Johnny was host, she was the permanent guest-host. But when FOX offered Joan her own late night talk show, she called Carson first to tell him about the offer.
He slammed the phone down on her and never spoke to her again.

Senator Roy Ashburn, on why, as a gay man--albeit a closeted gay man--he voted against nearly every issue regarding LGBT people:
"The best I can do is to say that I was hiding. I was so in terror I could not allow any attention to come my way. So any measure that had to do with the subject of sexual orientation was an automatic "no" vote. I was paralyzed by this fear, and so I voted without even looking at the content. The purpose of government is to protect the rights of people under the law, regardless of our skin color, national origin, our height, our weight, our sexual orientation. This is a nation predicated on the belief that there is no discrimination on those characteristics, and so my vote denied people equal treatment, and I'm truly sorry for that."

Again, pass that along to Queen Latifah. Tell her that being in the closet is a form of homophobia.

Swedish football star and Calvin Klein underwear model Freddie Ljungberg, on how he feels when people assume he's gay:
"There’s been a gay rumor for a long time. I don’t mind at all. I am proud of that. I love fashion, and I think so many gay people have amazing style. So that is a compliment to me. I really don’t know why people are so interested. I just made a decision that I won’t talk about it."

I never assumed he was gay, though I can't say i didn't wish it, dream it, and hope it.

6 comments:

  1. Freddie Ljunberg is awesome. I've been following him since his days with Arsenal and now that I have my sports back I'll have to check out MLS whenever the Seattle Sounders are on TV.

    I have no idea who Josh Strickland is but damn is he cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this posting and reading all the quotes. I agree with R.J. that Freddie Ljunberg is distractingly handsome and his quote just makes him more attractive...didn't think that was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Queen Latifah is so talented...if she is in fact "gay" her coming out like you've mentioned can really help alot of youth....I guess she's afraid?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:58 AM

    Both the writer of this blog and SteveA have arrived at the conclusion that Queen Latifah is in fact gay. You imply that she's irresponsible for not being a role model to a young gay black girl and accuse her of being afraid. Is it in any way possible that she simply is not gay and would prefer to keep her personal life private? Where do we get the right to insist that people who have public professional lives also make their personal lives public. We vilify people like Sarah Palin for using her children to advance her political career and then insist that other people live their personal lives out in the open. It is admirable when public figures who happen to be gay come out and offer themselves as beacons for those of us who need a light to guide us. However, we have no right to insist that other people make personal sacrifices to satisfy our own sense of social justice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment, Eddie, but if you'll note in my post I said IF she is gay.
    And IF she is, then maybe her coming out would make it easier for other young girls to come out.
    IF she's gay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:39 PM

    I apologize, Bob. I arrived at a conclusion and made a statement without having insight (or inside information). I assumed that because you suggested Josh Strickland and Sen. Ashburn should share their experiences with Queen Latifah, that you were already decided she was gay and in the closet and therefore a homophobe. However, you did preface your subsequent comments with the caveat, "IF" so I stand corrected. I should know better than to arrive at a conclusion prematurely.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......