Friday, July 03, 2009

The Week That Was

Michael Jackson is still dead, and more popular than he has been in years. I hear people say they don't understand the over-the-top news coverage, and say they didn't realize so many people cared. Well, I don't know if so many people cared as much as so many people have outlets for their stories, be it Twitter or Facebook or blogs or every other single news entity on the web. It's All Access Michael. And it's sad.

Farrah Fawcett was laid to rest this week. peacefully. Quietly. Reverently. That's how it should be done. Rest in peace, Angel.

Mark Sanford is finally done talking; for now. I'm sure he'll regale us with more stories of the Greatest Love Story Ever Told someday soon. Better that than actually getting back to being a Governor to a state in crisis. Way to throw off the newshounds, Marky.
And one thing I forgot: Resign. Now.

And the lovely Jenny Sanford is also talking about how she'll forgive her husband; she'll forgive the adulterous affair, the lies, the declaration of undying love for his Argentinean soulmate. You see, theirs is not a marriage based on love, it's based on position and power and money. If she leaves, she'll be just another ex-wife of a cheating politician a la Joan Kennedy. If she stays, and together they can salvage this mess, she may well be on her way to becoming a presidential candidates wife, or a senator's wife. Maybe she'll settle for a dogcatcher's wife seeing how she's married to a dog.

Wisconsin is opening up to accepting marriage equality, although they are testing the waters with marriage-lite domestic partnership registry. it's a step, and they all matter.

Months after the election Al Franken has finally been confirmed as the newest senator from Minnesota, giving the Democrats a filibuster-proof Senate. I don't know much about Al, save his Saturday Night Live days, but I am enjoying the effect he's having on the wingnuts at FoxNews, who cannot get over it.
Bummer. For them.

Barack and Michelle Obama had their little soiree for the LGBT community this week and once again the president pledged to work for us, not against us. But I'm still hearing words and not seeing a lot of action. Especially on DADT, with Dan Choi being discharged--number 266 and counting--and August Provost being murdered on base in San Diego. Yeah, DADT, good policy; good law. Good lord, end it now.

Five-time champion Roger Federer was masterful on the grass-court, beating Tommy Haas in straight sets to reach his seventh straight Wimbledon final. This puts him within one win of a record 15th Grand Slam title.

And finally, here we are ready to celebrate the Fourth of July. I don't know why, but I am not a big fan of holidays, really. I enjoy the getting together with friends and family, but I am not so fond of the way it's made to feel like a duty, like if you don't have plans there's something wrong with you. Well, Carlos and I don't have big plans; we may have the neighbors to dinner on Sunday; we may watch fireworks tomorrow. One thing for certain, we'll have the Saturday, Sunday and Monday off, and that'll be a nice holiday.
Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. The repeal is coming...soon I hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to admit...wouldn't it be fun to have Sanford run for Pres? Between the jokes about him and the jokes about Palin, it could be a very good year for those of us who are able to laugh at the absurd! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm Sarah Palin / Jenny Sanford...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think a repeal is coming, even if slower than we might like. And the Sanfords are doing a 'great' job teaching their sons how men should behave, women should react, and why protecting marriage from the likes of us is so important.

    As always, Roger is gorgeous to watch on every level. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post Bob. I'm a Raphael Nadal fan myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the recap of latest news. Thanks! I hope Jenny Sanford doesn't go back to him.

    I don't usually do anything about the 4th. I did when my son was living at home. We'd have his friends over for fireworks and a cook out. Since I was off during the summer, it was a big deal as far as holidays go except to banter with English people.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......