Thursday, July 30, 2009

Harvey Milk To Receive Presidential Medal Of Freedom


President Obama plans to award America’s highest civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, to Harvey Milk, one of the country’s first openly gay elected officials. The award will be accepted at a White House ceremony by Stuart Milk, the nephew of the late San Francisco Supervisor and civil rights activist.


Stuart Milk: “The President’s action today touches the core of our very human hearts and my uncle would be so proud of this high honor. His election was, for him, a beginning–a chance to make real change. That change is happening, but we still have so far to go. I hope this recognition inspires LGBT Americans everywhere to heed Harvey’s call to run for office, to serve openly, to live proudly with authenticity and to demand the equality that we all deserve.”
Harvey would be thrilled. I know I am.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so confused by all the mixed signals coming from the Obama White House...what the heck is going on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is good news. Rep barney has been an inspiration as well. He's in the thick of everything going on in Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this on Rachel's show last night and cheered! This is great!


    LOL wv is condi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:30 PM

    Bob - love the site. Hope you don't mind. I've sent it on to others to enjoy. Keep it up. Uh - you know what I mean....
    Neal

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......