Monday, July 06, 2009

Peace and Quiet


We had a mellow Fourth of July; in and around Smallville, the goal is to get drunk and then light things on fire and watch for the pretty colors. Not my kind of day. So Carlos and I, and the kids, spent a quiet Fourth.

Sunday we were going to put up our new blinds for the skylights in the sunroom, but I nixed that idea. Since I tend to turn into Attila the Homo when we do home repair work, and since we were having guests for dinner, I didn't want to have to explain to our friends, David and Neal, why Carlos was buried in the backyard and wouldn't be joning us for dinner.

And a lovely dinner, too, with the other gay couple in the neighborhood. That's how it was sold to us when we looked at this house: There's another gay couple in the neighborhood too.

Well, then, right me up a contract! More 'mo's is good news.

Carlos master baked a delicious apple-raisin-walnut cake and created his chicken and veggie skewers. I made grilled garlic shrimp with roasted red pepper pesto, my Mom's easy as pie salsa with black bean chips, and grilled veggies, asparagus, zucchini and peppers, with shaved Parmesan. But the kicker was the delicious, and I do ::::hic:::: mean delicious Pomegranate Margaritas.

Mmmmmmm baby.

So, we had some Pomaritas and some good food and some great conversation. Carlos popped in my new Eva Cassidy CD and Neal and David loved that we had her music. They are recent discoverers of her as well.


David and Neal met the rest of the family; Ozzo visits their house on walks with Carlos, but they hadn't seen our other four-legged kids.

All in all, a lovely evening of stories of how we met our partners, and our friends, and politics and Mark Sanford ::::asshat:::: and Sarah Palin ::::quitter:::: and Michael Jackson ::::enough already:::::.

This morning I saw this in the living room. Looks like Tallulah loves a good Pomarita, too, only she can't hold her liquor. Poor kitty.

Then Carlos and I decided to put up the new blinds and a miracle, no, two miracles occurred.

Carlos. Read. The. Instructions.
I. Didn't. Kill. Him.

Shades went up, easy as pie without the tears and the name-calling and the throwing of hammers and screwdrivers. And Carlos was nice, too.

All in all, a good day. Good weekend.

5 comments:

  1. LOL - funny, great post! How nice that there is another gay couple in your Smallville neighborhood, and that you get along with them!

    Spouse & I were supposed to do some 'handy' things on Sun too, but I was just too worn out. Glad you two had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny about "another gay couple" in the neighborhood. It's good you can socialize.

    The meal sounds delicious! Congratulations on the shades! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time! "Attila the Homo." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are miracles. I pray that luis reads this and takes note!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:52 AM

    Sounds like a good time. I had to laugh at the Attila the Homo thing. When it comes to repairs etc. it's already been determined that I am the mechanically/electronically talented one in the house.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......