Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Urgent Action Needed: Your Call Counts!

from the GayAgenda

"Right-wing groups are now calling the Matthew Shepard Act the “Pedophile Protection Act.”
It’s outrageous. What’s more, they are flooding the Senate with calls and letters to scare OUR senators into voting against this important bill to provide hate crime protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
I just called my senators. It was really easy. It takes about 45 seconds. Will you stand with me and make a quick call?
The Senate is poised to vote on the Matthew Shepard Act THIS WEEK. But our allies are reporting an avalanche of 300,000 letters and calls from right-wing groups trying to stop it.
Anti-LGBT leaders like Focus on the Family’s James Dobson are now calling the bill “utter evil.” They’re even referring to it as the “Pedophile Protection Act.”
With a vote on hate crimes coming any day, we desperately need senators to hear from fair-minded people like you.
It takes about 45 seconds to call each one of your senators – and each one of them needs to hear from you today. It’s just as important for supportive senators to hear from us – they’ve promised to pass this bill, and they need to know we’re counting on them to keep fighting.
So make the call on your way to lunch, or stop reading this and do it right now. Whatever you do, make sure to CALL YOUR SENATORS TODAY.
If you’ve never called Congress, let me assure you, it’s incredibly easy. All you have to do is give your zip code, and ask whoever answers the phone to let your Senator know you want the to vote in favor of the Matthew Shepard Act!
To find you Senator and their contact information -
CLICK HERE!
It’s is up to US to win this battle against those who discriminate against us!"

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:20 PM

    Yep, my senators are on board.

    BTW, love that early 500 set in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:35 PM

    For what it's worth you have the support of http://soitsgettingbetter.blogspot.com/

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also have two democrat senators. What I can't find is why it is called the PPA?
    I found some stuff about California and it seems to be all about reporting - which is something I deal with in my working life. But this bill doesn't seem to match CA. Will keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I emailed Senators Lugar and Bayh. Funny, because I just had an email today from Sen. Bayh concerning a letter I wrote about guns in National Parks. I love it that he took the time to write back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on it. I don't really know what my Senators' views are on this, but considering I live in Texas, I'm not holding out hopes that these conservative butts are supporting this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our senators are both Repubs. I'll do it, but it probably won't make a difference. I send them emails and get replies that sound like I said something else.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......