Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Stephan Elliott Comes Out Down Under

Priscilla Queen Of The Desert director, Stephan Elliott, was scheduled to be a presenter at AACTA Awards in Sydney last night, but took a moment to come out as a gay man.
"I've been offshore for many, many years for another reason. Basically it was because I was scared of who I was. I basically was scared that I was gay. Even after Priscilla I stayed offshore basically because I was frightened of my family. And tonight I'm coming out."
The news was greeted by loud, supportive applause.
A teary Elliott then thanked the audience and urged other high-profile members of the entertainment industry to get behind the push for equal marriage rights in Australia.
Welcome out, Stephan.
Naturally, you'll be receiving your first copy of The Gay Agenda, direct from HOMO HQ, but, in lieu of the traditional 'Comoing Out Toaster Oven,' considering the fact that you're an Aussie, we'll also be sending you a 'Coming Out Barbie' and some shrimp.
Welcome out, Stephen, welcome out.

3 comments:

  1. "frightened of my family" ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And he directed Pricilla?
    Darling... Who were you kidding?
    Another lost sheep is welcomed to the fold... Congratulations.
    Coming out to oneself is often the hardest step of the journey... Take it from me... I lived it! It took me a long time to realise that I wasn't alone... The self acceptance was the hardest part

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I came out my family literally tried to kidnap me and take me to the local hospital, which was a medical hospital, for "the cure." Both of my brothers were pulling on each of my arms pulling me out of my ground floor apartment while my father looked on. I won that battle back in 1963. I didn't go and now my one brother has a gay daughter who lives with him and by other brother has a gay granddaughter. Maybe they caught "something" when they were trying to pull me out of my apartment that April day so long ago.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......