Wednesday, February 29, 2012

An Asshat Tries....And Fails....To Apologize

It was just week that Indiana state Representative Bob Morris was awarded the ISBL Asshat of the Week cap for his refusal to sign a legislative resolution honoring the Girl Scouts on their 100th anniversary. You can read about it HERE, but suffice to say he was against the resolution because he felt that the Girls Scouts are a "radicalized organization" that support abortion and promote the "homosexual lifestyle."
And because now his words have come back to haunt him, Morris is issuing an apology. Let's dissect it, shall we?
"After reflecting on the letter I wrote on February 18, 2012 to my fellow Indiana Republican Representatives, I realize now that my words were emotional, reactionary, and inflammatory. For that I sincerely apologize. I apologize to the Girl Scouts of Indiana and all of the girls and parents of Indiana who are participating in and running their Girl Scout organizations in a way that promotes leadership, community involvement and family values. I certainly should not have painted the entire Girl Scouts organization with such a wide brush."
He would just paint some of "those" Girl Scouts that way. Notice, also that he doesn't really apologize for what he said, just the "emotional" way he said it.
Non.Apology.
"As I have mentioned, the letter was intended for only my colleagues in the Statehouse. That is not an excuse for the breadth of my letter – rather, it is the reason for the lack of research and evidence it contained. I was merely attempting to express my reasons for not signing the House Resolution honoring the Girl Scouts and challenging my colleagues to think about the issue. I assure you that on matters of state policy and law making my research is extensive. Too, had I known this letter would have gone to a wider audience, I would have cited further evidence for my position."
He only wanted certain people to get his letter, you know, the "right" kind of people, and is sorry that the letter actually was seen by everyday folk, who find Bob Morris and ilk a bit disgusting. And, you know, if he had known that you and I would have seen his letter he would have researched it more, instead of just relying on one or two biased web pages for his rant.
"In hindsight, I never should have written the letter. However, I still would not sign the Resolution honoring the Girl Scouts – not because of any local troops or even the Girl Scouts of Indiana, but because of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America (Girl Scouts USA) and its policies. My conscience would not allow me to publicly endorse an organization that partners with Planned Parenthood – our State’s leading abortion provider. My family and I view abortion as the biggest evil of our time. And as Blessed Pope John Paul II said in his Encyclical Letter Evangelium Vitae, “every person sincerely open to truth and goodness can, by the light of reason and the hidden action of grace, come to recognize in the natural law written in the heart (cf. Rom 2:14-15) the sacred value of human life from its very beginning until its end, and can affirm the right of every human being to have this primary good respected to the highest degree.” I hope that my stance will help to spread the Gospel of life. Perhaps it will cause the Girl Scouts USA to reconsider its policies."
Oh, so because the Girl Scouts partner with Planned Parenthood, which provides abortions, as well as all sorts of medical tests and treatments, from breast exams to cancer treatments, he won't sign it. Then, of course, he brings in religion, because, as a typical Republican he cannot separate his personal religious beliefs from any aspect of his life, your life, or my life.
"On March 5, 2004, the Girl Scouts of the United States of America’s CEO, Kathy Cloninger, stated in an interview on the NBC Today Show that the Girl Scouts USA partners with Planned Parenthood with regard to sex education for Girl Scouts. To my knowledge, the Girl Scouts USA have not rescinded, corrected or denied that statement." 
You know, because sex education is wrong. Education on any topic that does not jibe with Bob Morris' Bible-thumping is wrong.
"If the Girl Scouts USA now denies the statement of its CEO, I challenge the organization to do so publicly so that individuals are not confused as to the organization’s ties to Planned Parenthood."
It's the new GOP Culture War, folks, and Planned Parenthood is the enemy.
"Girl Scouts USA is also the founding and largest member of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (“WAGGGS”). Money raised by Girl Scouts USA is used to support WAGGS. As you can see from the link on its own website, http://www.wagggsworld.org/en/CSW54/Day6, WAGGS openly promotes sex education and access to contraception and other “sexual and reproductive health services” for young people." 
So, because the Girl Scouts are trying to help young girls through sex education--so they don't become pregnant or become infected with an STD or HIV--they must not be honored? Seriously, Bobby? What are you doing to help young girls, other than keeping them in the dark about the dangers of unprotected sex? Keeping them in the dark about the choices they can make for their own bodies by themselves?
"I cannot, in good conscience, honor an organization that supports such policies.It is my sincere hope that this statement will end the publicity with regard to my letter. I look forward to moving on to more important issues of state policy.Thank you."
No, Bobby, it won't end. It won't end because you're a bigot who hides behind the Pope's sequined gowns. It won 't end because you want to control women, and young girls, by denying them access to education, by denying them access to choice, by denying them access to medical treatment, options and education.
You, Bob Morris, are still an Asshat.
Put the cap back on.


6 comments:

  1. Froggy took the words right out of my mouth. And, if I could, I'd buy DOUBLE cookies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It is one thing to be thought a fool and remain silent, it is something else to open ones mouth* and remove all doubt**."

    ~Attributed to Abraham Lincoln, asteriks excepted.

    *Or put it in writing, ass clown.

    **Because everyone EXCEPT YOU, knows that when its in writing, their is evidence to prove your stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once an asshat, always an asshat. He can't hide his asshattery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, these asshats are getting it. When sending the ISBL Asshat cap,you also need to send along with the tee shirt and mug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. somebody tar this man

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......