Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Stop It!



Florida Congressman Alcee Hastings has written a letter to the President urging an end to enforcement of the Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Hastings, and 76 other House members, also wrote to Obama in June asking the president to suspend any investigations under the DADT discharges. So far, nothing has changed.

Except for the fact that every single day two more members of the LGBT community are discharged from their duties simply for being gay.

Every. Single. Day.

This is latest letter:
August 27, 2009
The Honorable Barack H. Obama
President of the United States
The White House
Washington, DC 20500

Dear President Obama:
On June 22, I sent you a letter signed by 77 Members of Congress urging you to take leadership in working together with Congress to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell and to replace it with a policy of inclusion and non-discrimination. More than two months later, I have yet to receive an official response.
I am deeply disappointed that you have not responded to my letter and that we are not addressing Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell at this time. With the recent addition of 17,000 American troops to Afghanistan and the possibility of another request for even more troops from General McChrystal in the coming weeks, I am sure that you will agree that we cannot afford to lose any of our dedicated, highly-qualified service members to Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.
As you know, we lose approximately two service members every day to Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. While I commend Secretary Gates and the Pentagon’s general counsel for their continued efforts to identify possible provisional measures, you can take action right now. I sincerely hope that your administration will make Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell a priority and do everything in its power to repeal this ridiculous, bigoted law once and for all.
Mr. President, I am extremely proud of the men and women who serve in our Armed Forces and truly appreciate the countless sacrifices they continue to make every single day to protect this nation and the American people. They deserve better than Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.
Please know that I will continue to monitor this situation closely and stand ready to assist you and my colleagues in Congress in repealing Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell today.
Sincerely,
Alcee L. Hastings
Member of Congress

3 comments:

  1. I think that letter writing is good, but legislation is the way to go. Sorry, but if Hasting wants to impressed me, the writing should be in a form of referendum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is why it is so dam nimportant for every homo and frineds of the mo's get their butt's to Washington DC on October 10-11! it is time this government understands we are not messing around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with lelocolon, Hastings needs to do more than write letters...Hell, I can do that and I'm not in the WH

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......