Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The Back Road To Racism City, With Stops At HypocrisyTown And Discriminationville


On Monday, Carlos and I drove up to Charlotte with our gaybors David and Neal for a day of gay bonding, over shopping and lunch. Don't judge, it's what we do. Now, normally, Carlos and I take the highway into Charlotte, but David and Neal take the back roads, which are actually quicker....go figure.

On the trip up I couldn't get over how pretty South Carolina is, with it's fields and farm lands, the great old homes and small towns. I'd always thought of my new state as one of Bible-Thumping-Rednecks-With-Brains-That-Don't-Fire-On-All-Cylinders, but, you know, it's pretty, too.

Of course, then Tuesday, back at work, I heard a client ranting about Obama. Now this man is openly racist, so I'll give him props for standing up with his backwards beliefs, but this time, he said something so inane I actually burst out laughing and had to leave the room.

Co-worker: So, what's goin' on today?
Racist Pigfucker: I'm disgusted. Obama's talkin' to our school children today and I'm disgusted!
Co-worker: Did you read what he was going to say?
Racist Pigfucker: No. I'm just disgusted.

Pretty state; more than it's fair share of dumbasses.

And, speaking of dumbasses....brilliant segue, if I do say so myself....how's this from Pope Ratz-his-name, who believes the destruction of the environment is caused by, yes indeedy, atheists. The Ratz said, and I quote: “Is it not true that inconsiderate use of creation begins where God is marginalized or also where his existence is denied? If the human creature's relationship with the Creator weakens, matter is reduced to egoistic possession, man becomes the ‘final authority,’ and the objective of existence is reduced to a feverish race to possess the most possible.”

So, if you don't believe God exists, then you are the root cause of the destruction of the planet. Damn you to Hell!

All righty then, but Terry Sanderson, President of the National Secular Society, put it all into perspective for me, because y'all know how I feel about the Nope, I mean, the Dope, I kid, I mean Pope, and his proclamations.

Sanderson reminds us that "[t]his is rich coming from the leader of an organisation that has plundered the world to enrich itself. As he sits in his golden palaces, surrounded by unimaginable luxury and material wealth, he lectures the rest of us about restraint and greed. We have nothing to learn about environmentalism from this hypocrite.”

And whilst we're on the subject of hypocrites....I think I'll take up professional segue-ing since I'm on a roll here....the not-so-great state of Arizona has found a novel way to deal with budget cuts and financial crises. Stick it to the gays. I mean, why should we care, we've been having it, um, stuck to us....and not in a good way....for ever!

Former Arizona governor, Janet Napolitano, just last year, approved an plan for unmarried partners of state employees to receive the same benefits as married partners of state workers. Equality, baby, equality!

But those wacky state legislators have tried ever since to rid Arizona of any semblance of equality, and now, current governor, Jan Brewer, has signed a budget bill that would revoke health insurance coverage for domestic partners. He says the state cannot afford to spend the money allotted for allowing unmarried partners equal rights.

But what he's doing, in effect, is punishing gays and lesbians for not being married. He is, however, forgetting that the LGBT community is not entitled to marriage equality, and as such, they, we, are not entitled to the same benefits provided our heterosexual counterparts in Arizona.

To be fair, the new cuts also affect unmarried straight couples from receiving benefits, but they at least have the option of getting married legally. Not so lucky are the gay men and women who work for the state of Arizona.

So, I'm thinking, South Carolina is a very pretty state. Rural, yes. Backwards, no doubt. But it doesn't own the rights to stupidity or ignorance or homophobia. Those traits can be found in the hearts of racist pigfuckers in Smallville, as well as powerful heads of churches bent on procurement over salvation, and in the mouths of duly elected officials who choose to serve only some of the people.

5 comments:

  1. Nope, you do not have a monopoly on idiocy, believe me. They're everywhere.

    Love the work conversation...I would have cracked up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend is working in SC, so I can't imagine the things she hears and sees

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post immensely. Bob, I'm with Beth, the crazy idiots are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, everywhere and their strong suit definitely isn't logic and critical thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at least SC is pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......