Thursday, May 07, 2009

Good For You, You're Gay

"From the late 1980s until about seven or eight years ago, you would find certain individuals coming up to you, me, and advocating the position that since we were doing family fare that it would be best were the actors to maintain a certain palatability to parents. These parties likely had heard rumors or harbored suspicions about me and wanted to make sure no embarrassing incidents were forthcoming.
I could claim noble reasons as coming out in order to move gay rights forward, but I must admit it is for far more selfish reasons. Now is the time I wish to find someone and I do not desire to force any potential partner to live a life of extreme discretion for me." - Actor David Ogden Stiers coming out of the closet.

5 comments:

  1. And how old is he? All this time he couldn't come out because why? Life is to short to live a lie until your twilight years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri, I think because he was on TV that the "public" might not accept him as a certain character-type if it was known he is gay.
    And it's equally sad that he has, apparently, lived his life alone rather than feeling comfortable and accepted for being a gay man.
    And life is to short to be any age and living a lie, but that's what society does to some people.
    I hope he finds someone and some happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's sad that he's apparently lived alone or in secret. But good for him for coming out now. He sounds like a caring partner and someone will be lucky to have him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. he's welcomed to the family

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so he didn't come out in order to help move gay causes forward. But now that he IS out, he SHOULD use his celebrity to help move gay causes forward.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......