Friday, May 08, 2009

Bust Out Marie


Apparently the tabloids have outed Marie Osmond's daughter as a lesbian, and all the world was atwitter with how Marie, a well-known Mormon, would handle the news being made public.

Well, Marie don't care, y'all.

In a radio interview this week, Marie Osmond openly discussed the issue, starting off by saying, "That's not a sensitive topic. I love my daughter.”

Which is what every gay child wants to hear from their parent, especially a gay child of a Mormon parent.

Then Marie went further: “When it comes to marriage, you know, I think that civil rights need to be for all. You know, I think each of us has the right to choose who makes that medical decision for us, I think everybody should have the right to share homes and finances with somebody that they care about. You know on those types of things I’m very supportive. When it comes to marriage … I think that civil rights need to be for all. When you start mixing religion into that and beliefs, you know, I do believe in the Bible. My daughter understands my beliefs. And, and, uh, you know, God said to be married and be productive with your children and, and, you know, replenish the earth or whatever. She understands those things. My daughter is sharp. And we have a great relationship and I think she would tell you that.”

Now, I like that Marie is happy with, and for, her daughter. And I'm glad she spoke about equality for all Americans. But Marie did fall short of saying that her daughter should be allowed to marry.
I think she needs to step up. Every parent should want happiness for their children, and should want their children afforded equal rights and protection under the law.

You took a good first step, Marie. Now bust open that door and come out in full support of equality.
Side note: Marie's brother, asshat Donny, has an entirely different, intolerant, view, which I wrote about HERE

3 comments:

  1. Maries certainly did beat around the bush, didn't she.
    Maybe that's where her daughter got it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! I was going to comment but that is excellent, Miss Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie is a very visible member of the Mormon church, so my guess is that she stopped short of actually SAYING she endorses marriage equality to keep from getting too much heat from the church.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......