Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Honestly Me


So the Honest Blogger Award has come my way, via Joy over at Babble On. I must thank Joy, of course; Babble On was one of the first blogs I found, loved and followed. I mean, where else am I going to get my Gilles Marini fix, along with Cliff Claven insights, huh? So, with thanks to Joy, I'll give you ten....just ten and no more....honest things about myself.
1: I have a filthy mouth, but I also have the ability to not have a filthy mouth without looking like I'm stumbling over the words. In the car I say the most disgusting things, but in mixed company I am so polite, so clean, so well-mannered.
2: I am no fan of organized religion because I believe they are all charlatans and fakes. That said, Ihave an unswerving faith in something bigger than myself and that this is not the only life I've had or will have.
3: I don't like this trait but, here goes, i am a fantastic liar...and that's no lie....seriously. I have made people believe things about myself that are utterly untrue; I do, however, reveal the lie at some point. I think I might have made a tremendous actor because of my ability to prevaricate.
4: I hated high school. I hate people who say that high school was the best time of their lives. Really? So, it was all downhill after graduation? I don't have any friends from high school and I don't miss them. It simply wasn't a place for me to be me.
5: I have the knack for seeing both sides of any situation. If two people are arguing I can fully understand both points of view and don't pick one over the other. This makes me a great mediator, but also pisses people off who want me on their side. ::::shrug:::::
6: I love to read and usually juggle more than one book at a time. Pople find this nerve-wracking, but I like the option of reading whatever suits my mood at a moments notice. Right now it's "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris, "The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk" by Randy Shilts and "Son of a Witch" by Gregory Maguire.
7: I have zero patience for people who have no opinions. You know, when you ask what they think of, well, gay marriage, for example, and they say I dunno. Or, during the election, you'd ask what they thought of this candidate or that one, and they'd Oh, I don't care about politics. I hate people like that. Strap on some balls and tell me what you think for cryin' out loud.
8: I think cats are smarter than dogs. Ithink cats are smarter than a lot of people, myself included. I love their independence, their I-don't-care attitude, their general slinkiness. I've either been a cat in a previous life or will be in a future one.
9: I am not afraid of death. I believe it's a door to something else, so it isn't to be feared, it's to be amazed. I've been in the company of a handful of people as they passed on and it really is a very serene moment. That said, I am not ready to die, and I am not looking forward to it. I am simply unafraid of it.
10: I wake up every morning....every morning....singing a song. Not merely humming a tune, but actually singing the song in my head. It could be anything from some old country tune I heard eons ago, to a jazzy standard to someone I truly like, but I always have a song in my head when i open my eyes in the morning. This morning's selection was "Am I Blue?"
___________________________________
So that's me, honestly, in ten items or less. Unless, of course, you stuck around a bit at Number Three and are maybe thinking none of this is true.
Hmmmmmmmm.
Now, I guess I'll pick a few who could try this. I've been to a few new blogs and am just getting to know these folks so, here goes:
Keri at KLou's World
Miss Janey over there at Miss Janey's Place
Mark from Running With Blue Sponge
Jim from Jim's Stuff
Ray over there at The Messy American
Y'all fell like particpatin' lemme know. You don't feel it, s'okay, I'll still be followin'.

10 comments:

  1. I accept your challenge as a kick in the pants to stop procrastinating. I said long ago I would give out some pieces of myself, and, via Mark from Running with Blue Sponge, I would add a juicy lie or two just to throw y'all off. Does that make me like you? Anyway, stay tuned. This should prove to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have absolutely no opionion at all about this post :)

    XOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your list! I had such a hard time coming up with things I wanted to share on a public blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to know someone else hated high school! Everyone taunted me and called me "fag", but now, 10/20/30/40 years later they want me to send them a check, attend their stupid function, and listen to them rehash stories about how fabulous they were while I was cowering in the band hall hoping no one would tease me today about the way I talk and walk. Fuck them all! If high school was the best time of their pathetic lives I almost feel sorry for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll see Ginger's almost feeling sorry for those a-holes and raise it to FUCK 'EM! If high school was the best time in their lives, then they've gotten the lives they deserve and karma is one mean bitch, which I'm glad to see. :P But really, I'm just a little angel on the inside. I'll participate for sure, do I just list 10 honest things about myself? I think i can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keri: I look forward to your list.
    Miss Ginger: Fuck 'em all is a'okay with me!
    Knoxxy: Thanks!
    David: No opinion? Huh? What? Huh?
    Beth: It is kinda hard to come up with 10 things.
    Ray: I'm looking forward to your list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to do #1 because of being a teacher. Damn, I've spent most of my life in high school! I liked it but always told students that the teenage years are not the best years of their lives and that something was wrong with those people who told them it was.

    Totally agree with and/or identify with #2, 3, 6, 8, and 9. I can see both sides, too, and know what you mean.

    That's funny about the song thing. I sort of have sound tracks for my life.

    Thank you for doing this! I really enjoyed reading it and appreciate what you said about me and my blog. Coming from you, that's quite a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hated high school too. my kids loved it. WTH?

    I also read more than one book at a time...I LOVE to read.

    this was really informative Bob....now I don't know whether to believe anything you say! ;)

    XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can totally relate to #7. What you do MEAN you don't know?!?!? But I have to disagree with #4. I had a great time in high school and stay in touch with some friends from school, mostly via Facebook. I wouldn't call it 'the best time of my life', but it was a lot of fun thanks to my being involved in music and drama.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......