Monday, May 04, 2009

Chair Rails and Broom Handles


Oy! What a weekend!

I spent Friday night on the couch icing and heating the ankle. Laying on the couch with the ankle above my head...not behind my head, people.....above my head. I wrapped it. I massaged it. I lay it gently on a pillow.

Saturday, however, was worse. My ankle looked like a small animal had crawled under my skin and was making a nest there. It was swollen and throbbing, and I was Macaulay Culkin. Home alone? Carlos had a presentation to give that day, so I hobbled and hopped and limped from my bedroom to the living room. I love my house, but, really, did we need such a long hallway? I felt as though I'd crossed a couple of time zones from bed to sofa. Thankfully I wasn't a member of the Donner Party or all hell would have broken loose before we got to the mountains.

But I did discover one thing. Those blasted chair rails that we have in the hallway? The ones I want removed because, well, chair rails, in the hallway? They make lovely things to grasp onto as I went back and forth from back of the house to front of the house.

Once Carlos got home, I asked if he happened to stop and get me a crutch or cane. He suggested something that I could do with a crutch or cane, but then I had an idea. And I'd like you all to remember you heard it here first: Two words: Broom handle. Carlos got one from the garage and I used it like I was steering a boat through the canals of Venice.

So between the broom handle and the chair rails I was able to maneuver through the house all day Saturday. The broom handle also came in handy late Saturday night, because Mister Breathe Right started to snore. I must have nudged him three times and asked him to turn over, and three times he muttered that he wasn't snoring. Finally, I sat up, grabbed my broom handle and--no I didn't beat Carlos over the head--I went to the guest room.

Sunday, I stayed on the couch nearly all day, flopping one way with the ankle on pillows, flopping another with the ankle on a chair. Wrapping it. Unwrapping it. Icing it. Rubbing it. Cursing the Ankle God, I even took it back to the bathroom and stuck it into a tub full of steaming hot water and turned on the jets. That. Felt. Good.

And then Carlos gave me a treat. A box of Icy Hot Patches. I may not be good enough for him, but, man, does he clean my clock when he shows up with Icy Hot. Icy Hot; more icy than hot, really, but boy-oh-boy did those things make a difference. I even slept with two of them on and this morning I was able to walk without full use of my broom handle. I think, by the end of the day, or maybe tomorrow, the broom handle will go back to the garage.

I'll miss you, old friend.

7 comments:

  1. So that's wht you meant on my blog.Sorry to hear...how painful has that got to be...certainly not condusive to being philosophical is it?
    well now it's Monday and i hope some of that TLC has worked for you.
    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, your description sounds worse than a sprain. You should have it looked at/x-rayed.
    If I'd done that 1 1/2 years ago, my ankle probably wouldn't STILL be swollen and misshapen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ak! We did the broken ankle around here (Gorilla Boy). His gym teacher had to carry him up a flight of stairs! Luckily he was also one of the football coaches so he could handle it other than getting ribbed for breaking one of the football players.
    Hope you are dancing around today or at least shuffling gracefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man. Sorry about that ankle. But if it rained their all weekend, it was okay to be kept prisoner by your ankle, right?

    Icy-hot patches, huh? I have used icy-hot before but I didn't know they had patches. Glad they are working for ya.

    And the broom? GREAT idea!

    My husband does the same thing when he is snoring. And even if he DOES roll over, sometimes he still snores. It drives me freaking crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you poor thing. I persoanlly would have made Carlos go to the guest room, so you are better than I!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm wondering if you should have gone to the doctor or emergency room, now that I read of all the pain you had. Poor Bob!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I, too, have been sleeping in the guest room lately, thanks to Spouse's snoring. We even bought him one of those PureSleep mouthpieces, but so far it has not stopped the snoring, although Spouse says he sleeps better with it.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......