Friday, April 02, 2010

Oops....I Didn't Mean What I Just Said I Meant


Yesterday I said that Secretary of the Army, John McHugh, in interviewing gay soldiers about Don't Ask, Don't Tell, would not discharge anyone under that policy for coming out to him in the course of his investigation.

McHugh has now changed his mind.

John McHugh: "Yesterday, in response to a series of questions from reporters regarding "Don't Ask Don't Tell", I made several statements that require further comment.
First, while President Obama has asked Congress to repeal "Don't Ask Don't Tell", it is and remains the law of the land...
Second, I was incorrect when I stated that Secretary Gates had placed a moratorium on discharges of homosexual service-members. There is no moratorium of the law and neither Secretary Gates nor I would support one.
Third, with regard to the three soldiers who shared their views and thoughts with me on "Don't Ask Don't Tell", I might better have counseled them that statements about their sexual orientation could not be treated as confidential and could result in their separation under the law."

Now McHugh says he'll use a third party to interview soldiers so he won't be conflicted over discharging people for being gay:
"The working group is likely to utilize a third party from outside of the department to solicit these views so soldiers can speak candidly and without fear of separation. I urge every soldier to share his or her views and suggestions on this important issue through this channel. This is the appropriate way to do so."

No, sir, the appropriate way to do so is to instantly repeal DADT and apologize to every gay man and woman affected by this decades long institution of discrimination.

2 comments:

  1. This whole business is getting beyond tedious. They have got to stop trying to have it both ways, join the rest of the civilized world and repeal the stupid thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really dirty business when he must have known he would pull this when he started out

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......