Thursday, January 14, 2010

Oh, Yeah, This Sounds Like A Good Idea

I'm a fan of sarcasm.
Really? You didn't know that?
See? I just did it there.

But now, a Michigan company has announced the release of software that introduces new punctuation to the typed word: The sarcasm mark.

Sarcasm Inc. said the SarcMark, which resembles an open circle with a dot in the center, can be installed on computers via a program that can be downloaded from sarcmark.com for $1.99. The company said it has versions of the program for several computer systems as well as BlackBerry devices.
"Statements have the period.
Questions have the question mark.
Exclamations have the exclamation mark.
When you see the newest punctuation mark for sarcasm, you'll know the writer of that sentence doesn't literally mean what they're writing; they're being sarcastic."

Oh, I think people who follow ISBL will know when I'm being sarcastic.
They are a clever bunch.
See? I did it again.

3 comments:

  1. I can just see trying to teach that to a surly teenager. Like they need the help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:14 AM

    I didn't quite get this either. If we use a punctuation mark to say a sentence was sarcastic, how will we know which part? Usually it's a word that's sarcastic. Not an entire sentence. Course, I'm just a writer. What do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea. Can you imagine the congressional minutes if they started using this symbol :o)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......