Wednesday, December 23, 2009

This Is Understanding....This Is Love


"I still love Gareth and I will never stop loving him. What happened to us is just so terribly sad. He really was the perfect husband in every other way.
"I'm incredibly proud of him for coming out and if anyone thinks any less of him because of it, then they are stupid. I know it was a massive relief when he told me, his family and close friends three years ago, and it will be even more of a relief now that everyone knows.
"He is now free to be who he is and I, and everyone else who knows and loves him, am happy for him because he is a very special person. I don't feel angry, embarrassed or humiliated, nor do I regret marrying Gareth for a second. I know with all my heart that he adored me as much as I adored him on our wedding day, and I had the most fantastic years of my life with him.
"It would be easy to wallow in self-pity and dwell on the negatives, but I am a positive person and I'm grateful that he loved me so much he had to tell me the truth because he felt I deserved better.
"He released me and in doing so he released himself. Gareth could have waited for years to tell me, wasted my life, and where would that have left me? I was only 30 when he told me, still young enough to meet someone else and have children."

Jemma Thomas, ex-wife of Wales rugby legend Gareth Thomas.

5 comments:

  1. She is a class act that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's amazing! He's lucky she didn't sue him for all he's worth!
    Almost makes you wonder if that statement was part of some "agreement"?
    Or, maybe I'm just being cynical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post title truly says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:19 PM

    In many ways I think she is the braver one and her support is quite inspirational. That is what love should mean.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is love! Good for her!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......