Monday, December 21, 2009

Welcome......

.....to Welsh rugby player Gareth Thomas who has announced that he is gay.

"I've been through all sorts of emotions with this, tears, anger and absolute despair. I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to let people know, and, to be honest, I feel anxious about people's reactions and the effect it might have on my family. It's been really tough for me, hiding who I really am, and I don't want it to be like that for the next young person who wants to play rugby, or some frightened young kid. I don't know if my life is going to be easier because I'm out, but if it helps someone else, if it makes one young lad pick up the phone to ChildLine, then it will have been worth it. My parents, my family and my friends all love me and accept me for who I am, and even if the public are upset by this, I know the love of those people who mean the most to me will never change. I'm not going on a crusade, but I'm proud of who I am. I feel I have achieved everything I could ever possibly have hoped to achieve out of rugby, and I did it being gay. I want to send a positive message to other gay people that they can do it, too."

Good for you, Gareth, good for you.

5 comments:

  1. He's a strong man for doing this. I'm proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting that! What a wonderfuly brave man! I think it will give gay teens and their families cause for hope and rejoicing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:37 AM

    What he's done is good but I can't accept his statement that he's achieved everything while being gay, he'd retired from international rugby while still firmly in the closet and I think his claim is comewhat specious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that he gets recognized for his achievements, and not for anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big respect - it's a brave move!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......