Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chicken Little In Smallville

Okay, so yesterday I come home and decide to prepare a lovely chicken-and-rice soup. First mistake. See, it had been freezing cold here the last couple of days--in the 20s at night and 40s during daylight--and torrential rains for the last day or so. And I thought, MmmmMmmm good. Soup. But, you know, not from a can. So, I have a soup recipe floating around my head most of the day, and, well, wouldn't you know it, the rains leave and take the cold with them, and it runs all the way up into the mid-70s! But, all i could think of was soup, so soup it would be.

I get into the kitchen and started dicing veggies and herbs, and putting a ginormous chicken breast into the pressure cooker. I sautéing and dicing and smelling and steaming and......

BAM

I heard the loudest noise from outside.

Not too long after we moved here, one of the branches from a dogwood tree came down in the driveway and created such a noise. Oy. So, naturally I think a tree has fallen. But then I think back a few years earlier, in Miami when, while having dinner, a woman drove her car through our fence and into the side of our house. So, I think someone drove a car into my house; this was irrational because we are a few hundred feet off the road and behind a stand of very tall trees, so unless someone was aiming at the house, well.....


I head to the garage and see. A section of the ceiling has come down. On.Top.Of.My.Car. I may have screamed. I head out, and a huge section of drywall has come down; a huge section of drywall and a very heavy light fixture which put two dents......two :::::sniff:::::: dents....into the hood of my beloved Leonora. Yes. I named my car Leonora.


Luckily, if luck is possible, it wasn't from a leaky roof and wet drywall. It seems that the light fixture wasn't properly secured to the floor joists and finally decided to stop hanging around and come down for a visit.

Insurance calls were placed. Adjusters will be out. Dents will be removed. Ceilings will be put up anew.

Chicken Little out.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:58 AM

    Those unexpected things DO put a kink into soup making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGh, well at least you werent underneath when it decided to come down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contractors should be going to jail. If someone had been standing under that, they could have very well been history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say Revenge of the Chicken.
    This may be an ongoing curse...

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad nobody was hurt

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an evening! Glad you and Carlos are ok. Leonora will be good as new in no time.

    Love. That. Name.

    I am sure hoping the ceiling and light fixture will be better than before, but you know how contractors are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Crap!!! I'm glad you and the rest of the mammals at your house were unscathed.

    XOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. That just sucks, hope they make it all like new :o), and that it is covered, sounds like bad workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, thank goodness none of you were under that light fixture. I'm surprised it didn't do more damage to Leonora than it did. I didn't picture you with a white car.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, I would cry, too! (My car is named Slick, by the way.) XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. How crazy is that?!?!?!

    BTW, I've named a few of my cars, too. Way back there was VaRhonda the Honda, and more recently Big Ella, the Cadillac.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......