Wednesday, May 09, 2012

BIG NEWS: Obama Comes Out For Equality

After the travesty that occurred yesterday in North Carolina, and the disappointment that happened last night in Colorado, I don't know whetehr to laugh or to cry at this news.
For the first time in my life, a sitting President of the United States has publicly declared that I deserve equality.

“I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors, when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together; when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.” 
President Barack Obama

7 comments:

  1. I go away for lunch and come back to about 200 tweets. Something. Has. Happened. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. President Obama has just secured his reelection by his statement today supporting marriage equality. Those who hated him before today's announcement will hate him even more but they weren't going to vote for him anyway. However, those of us who were disappointed in his (up until now) lukewarm, wink and nod support of marriage equality will now definitely get out and vote for him. I never thought I would live to see this day. It does feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They ignored us. They demonized us. They kicked us around. They pissed us off and we started fighting back and now this. We are making progress, maybe not as quickly as we feel that it is being made, but we are making progress. History is on side. Just let me live long enough to see it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy!
    What a crazy week...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is no surprise to me.....the man is ahead in his thinking and progressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I'm thrilled. I'm still basking in the glow!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......