Thursday, May 03, 2012

Zachary Wyatt Comes Out


While Tennessee's 'Don't Say Gay' bill is, if not dead, at least in a complete vegetative state, another similar law is proposed in Missouri, and that proposal had one Republican state congressman speaking out.
And coming out.
Yesterday, Missouri Representative Zachary Wyatt told members of the House, a gathering of reporters, and the entire world, that he is gay when he called on members in the House GOP to withdraw support from Missouri's so-called “Don’t Say Gay” bill.
“Today I ask you to stand with me as a proud Republican, a proud veteran, and a proud gay man who wants to protect all kids, addressing bullying in our schools.” --Zachary Wyatt
Wyatt has made headlines recently, first, when he withdrew from the race for House District 3 and then announcing he would study marine biology at the University of Hawaii. A few weeks later, he issued a sharply-worded condemnation of fellow Republicans for their lack of action on House Resolution 333, which Wyatt filed to invoke impeachment proceedings against Circuit Judge Russell Steele. he also said that being a public figure was like living “in a glass house,” where he’s been able to see things about his own life that he’s kept “hidden away.”
“I will not lie to myself anymore about my own sexuality. It has probably been the hardest thing to come to terms with. I have always ignored it. I didn’t even think about it or want to talk about it. I’ve not been immune to it. I hear the comments, usually snide ones, about me. I am not the first or last Republican to come out. I have just gotten tired of the bigotry being shown on both sides of the aisle on gay issues. Being gay has never been a Republican or Democrat issue, and it should never be.”--Zachary Wyatt
Two years ago, Zachary Wyatt towed the typical GOP stance on school bullying, and last year voted 'No' on Missouri's proposed non-discrimination act. He regrets both positions today, and says he was just a follower back then, but "[l]eadership is what we need now.”
Now, he's taken a stand against 'Don't Say Gay' and says it's  his duty as a victim of bullying to stand up for those students who are facing similar challenges.
“If I can save one kid from hurting themselves or taking their life, then I have done my job as a representative.”--Zachary Wyatt
Welcome out, Zachary, welcome out.
As always, Homo HQ will be sending you the official Welcome Out Toaster Oven and a copy of the Gay Agenda. It is an easy read, with just one page containing just one word:

"Equality."

Welcome out.



2 comments:

Say anything, but keep it civil .......