Friday, May 04, 2012

I Didn't Say It....


Grant MorrisonAction Comics writer, on the homoeroticism of Batman:
"Gayness is built into Batman. I’m not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There’s just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character he’s intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesn’t care — he’s more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid."

C'mon, the comic book characters wears tights with a bulging crotch and lives with a hot young Robin.
And don't get me started on the Batsuit nipple controversy.

Dominic Dieter, Cleveland radio personality Dominic Dieter, apologizing--in a way--for his earlier comment that a man's gay daughter needed to have the Lesbian "raped" out of her:
"I just wanted to say that, I know on the show this past Friday I made some comments that people found....considered to be offensive. And I just wanted to say, I understand why people are angry.  I want to genuinely apologize to anyone who may have been offended by what I said. I regret what I did say. My comments were inappropriate.  They were inexcusable, and just downright stupid. And I want to make it clear; there was absolutely no intention to promote physical or sexual violence.  And I’m truly; truly sorry by my poor choice of words that led people to believe otherwise.  Again, Rover....I just want to apologize for any pain I might have caused....I ask people to find it in their hearts to forgive me.  I am sorry for the words that I did say. "

Okay, first he pisses me off with his "people found ... to be offensive."
I didn't find them offensive, they were offensive.
But, in the end the apology seems sincere, though, it makes me wonder: if people actually took a moment, before speaking, and thought about what they were planning to say, they might reconsider saying it.

Maureen Dowd, on the Vatican's order to punish nuns that don't publicly oppose gay marriage:
"Even as Republicans try to wrestle women into chastity belts, the Vatican is trying to muzzle American nuns. Who thinks it’s cool to bully nuns? While continuing to heal and educate, the community of sisters is aging and dying out because few younger women are willing to make such sacrifices for a church determined to bring women to heel. Yet the nuns must be yanked into line by the crepuscular, medieval men who run the Catholic Church. How can the church hierarchy be more offended by the nuns’ impassioned advocacy for the poor than by priests’ sordid pedophilia? How do you take spiritual direction from a church that seems to be losing its soul?"

Just like I think a female President would be a great thing for this country [are you listening, Hillary?] I think a female Pope could really clean up the mess that men have made of the Catholic Church over the last hundreds of years.

Michelangelo Signorile, on how the resignation of openly gay Romney spokesman Richard Grenell is a win for the LGBT community:
"Why is it that a win? Because Grenell was being used for cover by a candidate with abhorrently antigay positions, a man who has promised to "propose and promote" a federal marriage amendment if elected president. I don't buy the argument made by some that it was a measure of progress that Romney hired a gay man as his foreign policy spokesperson when he's using that gay man to make himself appear moderate to independents while he's promising the GOP base that he'll make gay people into second class citizens. Actual progress in the GOP will come when their presidential candidates stop bowing to bigots and refuse to sign their extremist pledges. Otherwise, it's all window dressing."

It's Mittsy trying to pander again.
Oooh, I'll hire a gay guy to show the LGBT community I'm on their side, and maybe they'll forget all the rancid things I've said about them being less than.
Ain't hapenin' Mittsy. We know you're a flip-flopping, two-stepping pandering asshat.
M'kay?

Chelsea Clinton, coming out against North Carolina's Amendment One:
"I believe that everyone must stand up for what is right, whenever possible, wherever possible. I also believe that when the civil rights of any one American or group of Americans in one place are questioned, all Americans, everywhere, should care that the answer is the right one. Those are lessons I learned at a young age from my parents and they are guiding principles in my life. That is why I am joining you in opposing Amendment One in North Carolina. Amendment One unfairly targets women, children and families, gay and straight, who fall outside of the narrow definition of family articulated by those who drafted the legislation. It is our duty to join the fight on behalf of both the gay and lesbian North Carolinians who were the original targets of the amendment and the tens of thousands of straight male and female North Carolinians who will be collateral damage if the amendment passes next Tuesday."

Maybe Chelsea Clinton will be the first female president?
Or, maybe she'll be elected when her mother's terms are up.
Smart girl.

Anna Paquin, True Blood actress, on being bisexual:
"I’m sure for some people saying they’re bisexual feels less scary than making a statement that they’re gay. For me, it’s not really an issue because I’m someone who believes being bisexual is actually a thing. It’s not made up. It’s not a lack of decision. It’s not being greedy or numerous other ignorant things I’ve heard at this point. For a bisexual, it’s not about gender. That’s not the deciding factor for who they’re attracted to."

Sexuality, I believe, is on a sliding scale, with homosexuality at one end and heterosexuality at the other. And people fall all along the scale.
I, personally, fall very, very close to the totally gay end, because, well, that's me. Other people may fall close to one side or the other, or, like Paquin and Cynthia Nixon, smack dab in the middle.
But as long as they're open about it, and accepting about it, who are we to judge?

4 comments:

  1. So.
    A new word! crepuscular
    - fire up the googles. We have crepuscular - meaning twilight, basically. And we have Crepuscular Old Man by Salvador Dali. AND the site provides all of Dali's paintings in order!(that man painted A LOT!)
    http://tinyurl.com/6pfbpb9
    (Now I have to use it in a sentence of my own)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most troubling is that it is Nuns, not the church leadership, who wrestle with serving the poor, feeding the hungry and ministering to the sick. The men are all to busy in repressing women and molesting children, and trying to figure out how to cover up the molestation of children. If Jesus were alive, he would be sickened. And he'd be hanging with the nuns, aiding them in their service, and helping defy the fiends running the Catholic Church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo to Maureen Dowd, couldn't have been sadi any better!!!! And why do I have the urge to do something dirty to Grant Morrison and his head?

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......