Wednesday, May 02, 2012

BSA Board Member Resigns In Support Jennifer Tyrrell

By now I think we've all heard the story of Jennifer Tyrrell, the Ohio mother who was booted out as scout leader of her 7-year-old son's Boy Scouts troop because she's gay.  [see post HERE]
But here's some more.....
The Boy Scouts of America say that one of their goals is to build character in young men, and that they don't want to involve gay people in their endeavors because they don't want to turn their merit badging and camping and stuff in discussions of sexual orientation, so they will not, now or ever, allow gay folks to be leaders.
Okay, but how does discrimination, written into your code of honor, and hidden behind your Freedom of Speech platform teach character? Doesn't that just teach discrimination of people who might be different?
I mean, that's what I think, but then I'm just a queer so, well, you probably don't care about my opinion. But, there is someone who's opinion does matter, and someone who took his opinion, and voiced, it, and then quit the BSA.
David Sims, board member of the Ohio River Valley Council of the Boy Scouts of America announced his resignation last Friday in support of Jennifer Tyrrell:

April 27, 2012
Ohio River Valley Council
Boy Scouts of America
Attn: Bob Drury
Dear Bob:
It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I write to you today to inform you that I am resigning as a member of the Board of Directors of the Ohio River Valley Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
Yesterday, after receiving the email from Paul Tucker, I first learned the story of Jennifer Tyrrell, the den leader for Pack 109's Tiger Scouts in Bridgeport, Ohio, who was removed as leader solely due to her sexual orientation. I understand that this action was taken as a result of a standing policy of the Boy Scouts of America and that said action is legal. However, Ms. Tyrrell’s removal goes against my fundamental beliefs of how we should treat our fellow human beings and is, in my opinion, wholly discriminatory. I understand that the Boys Scouts of America is free to run its organization as it sees fit, however, I can not formally be a part of it based upon this policy.
My grandfather was an Eagle scout, my father was an Eagle scout and I am an Eagle Scout. Other than his family and his Christian faith, the most important thing in my father’s life was the Boy Scouts. The lived and breathed scouting. That is what makes this decision so exceedingly difficult and emotional. However, I know that my father would support my decision.
Best wishes to you, Ohio River Valley Council and the Boy Scouts of America in future endeavors. I hope that the powers that be will look into their hearts and find the wisdom and courage to re-examine the policies of the Boy Scouts of America.
Sincerely yours,
David J. Sims
Sounds like someone learned a little something about character, but probably not from the BSA.

via GLAAD

2 comments:

  1. It is significant that Zach Wahl, author of My Two Moms, is an Eagle Scout. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good. I hope other high-ups in the BSA follow suit.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......