Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Quote Of The Day

Tom Suozzi, a practicing Catholic who came out against same-sex marriage in favor of civil unions in his primary for governor against Eliot Spitzer in 2006, has had a change of heart, and has uttered three words you rarely, if ever, hear from a politician:

"I was wrong. I have listened to many well-reasoned and well-intentioned arguments both for and against same-sex marriage. And as I talked to gays and lesbians and heard their stories of pain, discrimination and love, my platitudes about civil unions began to ring hollow. I have struggled to find the solution that best serves the common good. I now support same-sex marriage. This is a subject of great debate before the New York State Legislature (although the legislators there are a little distracted right now), and I hope that same-sex civil marriage will be approved within the month...Many civil marriages are not considered 'holy matrimony' by religious institutions because they do not conform to the rules of the religious institution. Those marriages have not challenged religious liberty. We must see that civil marriage, which has always been separate from religious marriage, will remain so.

But most important, gays and lesbians have suffered too long from legal discrimination, social marginalization and even violence. They are entitled to clear recognition of their equal status as citizens of a country that is founded on the principle that we are all inherently worthy."

4 comments:

  1. Well done...long live the pursuit of happiness

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does he expect to get elected to anything with a logical, considered, and empathetic postion like that? I didn't know there were still politicians that stood up for what was right. Where do I send my campaign contribution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how nice! Its amazing how truth and logic have a ring to them!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......