Friday, June 26, 2009

Come Out


Openly gay actor Ian McKellen has written an article for the Times, in which he urges every gay and lesbian person to come out. Now, McKellen didn't come out until 1988 when he was 49 years old. But in 1988 a new law in England, called Section 28, was passed. It stated that schools and local authorities were not to “promote homosexuality” or teach “the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship”. It was because of this legislation, that Ian McKellen came out as a gay man.

“For me, coming out made me unburdened and more self-confident. It made me a better actor. It opened me up emotionally. It’s amazing that it’s an experience that people who you’ll never meet, in places in the world you’ll never go to, can relate to. It’s one of the best things I’ve ever done.
“That’s when I made the connection between the personal and the political. Section 28 made gay people second class and it felt right to stand up and say so, to say: 'I’m not ashamed'. I feel the same way today. Come out, it’s got to be done. Everyone should feel that they have the right and opportunity to live openly."

I agree wholeheartedly with McKellen. I felt so much more alone before I came out; I felt so much more that I didn't belong, that I was less than, that I didn't matter. Before.

And, yes, I had it rather easy. Sure, I lost a few friends, but then, well, with friends like that....yadayadayada. But my family, well, they were so welcoming, accepting, they were 'so what?' about it.

I think everyone should come out because it's easy to deny rights to people you don't know, to 'them,' but try doing it to your neighbor or co-worker or friend. It won't be so easy to deny us marriage, or allow us to serve openly in the military. it won't be so easy for the president to promise and not deliver.

Just come out. It's actually very nice out here.

And there's the added bonus of the Coming Out Toaster Oven from recruitment headquarters!

3 comments:

  1. Ain't that the truth! I did wish for maybe a microwave or vacuum cleaner though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. Coming out is liberating and empowering. It helps you and your community. If someone can't deal with your homogayuality, then its better to know that, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you get married, you'll get appliances and all kinds of things you'll want and some you don't like. Don't forget to write the thank-you notes!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......