Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Boehner Boner

Edie Windsor is challenging the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act [DOMA] and is seeking a refund of the federal estate taxes paid by the estate of her late wife, because The Gays, even those who are legally married, are not entitled to the same federal benefits as their heterosexual counterparts.
And now she has responded to House Speaker John Boehner's claim that her homosexuality was a 'choice'. Yes, Boehner thinks being gay is a choice. Lawyers for Boehner's Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group [BLAG....which is the exact sound my stomach makes when I hear, see, or speak, about John Boehner] called homosexuality a choice in a brief filed last month. saying, “a significant percentage of gays and lesbians believe they exercised some or a great deal of choice in determining their sexuality.”  
Edie Windsor argued just the opposite, in fact, in her affidavit, stating that it was her marriage to a man, one Saul Weiner, that demonstrated the opposite. “I understand that BLAG argues in its papers that my first, brief marriage to Saul Weiner in 1951 demonstrates that I had a ‘choice’ about my sexual orientation. As I explain below, that is certainly not the case. What my marriage to Saul Weiner shows is that although I tried to make a ‘choice’ about my sexual orientation by getting married to a man, I was simply unable to do so.”
You can't do it, because it isn't a choice, though one wonders if Boehner, who seems to think that sexual orientation is a choice, remembers exactly where he was, and what he was doing, and with whom he was doing it, when he made the 'choice' to be heterosexual.
All major medical professional organizations, and anyone with an open mind and more than half a brain, agree that sexual orientation is not a choice and cannot be changed, from gay to straight or otherwise. The American Psychological Association describes sexual orientation as “a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive and biological factors.” There is considerable evidence to suggest that biology, “including genetic or inborn hormonal factors,” plays a significant role in a person’s sexuality.
Still, John Boehner, Weeper Of The House, seems certain that the entire gay community was given a choice on their sexual orientation.
What a boner.
What a boner.

2 comments:

  1. The man is an absolute idiot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember filling out some form and checking the box next to "GAY". I guess I might have made a choice????

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......