Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Dan Kloeffler Comes Out, Too!

And we have Zachary Quinto to thank for it.
For it was while reporting that Quinto had come out that Dan Kloeffler, ABC's World News Now anchor, revealed that he is a gay man.
Kloeffler later wrote a blog post about his admission on the ABC News website:
"Kind of a big moment for me while filling in on World News Now, which is by far the most fun you can legally have at 3:00 in the morning! Yunji de Nies and I were talking about celebrity headlines, when I read the story about Zachary Quinto, who played Spock in Star Trek, coming out as gay in a magazine interview. Because WNN is a show where you can offer some personality, I had a little fun with the story saying that I would drop my rule against dating actors.I’ve never shared that I’m gay on-air, even though I’ve been out to my family, friends and co-workers for years. In fact, an old boyfriend – now best friend – has always given me a hard time about not doing so. But for the same reason that Zach decided to come out, I too, no longer wanted to hide this part of my life.There have been too many tragic endings and too many cases of bullying because of intolerance. As a kid I wanted someone to look up to, someone that could relate to the feelings I was having. Most of all, I wanted to know that it would get better.And it did.As a journalist, I don’t want to be the story, but as a gay man I don’t want to stand silent if I can offer some inspiration or encouragement to kids that might be struggling with who they are."
Welcome out, Dan, and the kind folks at Homo HQ will also be sending you a copy of The Gay Agenda, and the obligatory Coming Out Toaster Oven.
In all seriousness, this is how it works. One of us comes out and it spurs another to follow suit, in order to be happy in their lives, in order to take a stand, or in order to end the silence that living a closeted life brings.
Once again, Dan, Welcome Out!


via The Advocate

2 comments:

  1. And once again, Bob, thanks for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:29 PM

    Good for him! Every person that comes out somehow makes it just a little bit easier for the next person. I bet this means just as much, if not more, to his boyfriend! Dating a guy in the closet would pretty much be like going back in yourself, right?

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......