Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Even Some Republicans Think It's A Bad Idea

The vote is still a year away, but that whole anti-gay marriage ban thing in Minnesota is still a hot topic. So hot, in fact, that several prominent Republicans came out in opposition--yes, opposition-- to the amendment that would constitutionally define marriage as between one man and one woman.

John Kriesel
Republican Congressman, John Kriesel: "I don't think neighbors should be voting on what neighbors can and can't do in the privacy of their own home."

And he's not alone. Several other Republican leaders, including Wheelock Whitney, a former candidate for Governor and Senator, also spoke against the amendment: "I have a gay son.  I have a gay grandson.  I love them.  I'm proud of them, and I don't like to see them discriminated against in any way."
 

Wheelock Whitney
Whitney put his money where is mouth is, by donating $10,000 to fight the ban.

Even with all this republican support, it won't be an easy fight. Minnesota is the 30th state to consider a marriage amendment and all 29 previous states approved the amendment, banning legal recognition of same-sex unions to one degree or another.

Still, it's nice to see some members of the GOP standing up for equality while many of their counterparts are actively fighting against it.

3 comments:

  1. I told you I am not the only one....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it "Coming out day" recently?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the boat is near crossing the waterfall in the US. It may be a few years before the public actually votes down a marriage amendment, but it shows that people are getting tired of this divisiveness. It's encouraging, but still a day late and a dollar short.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......