Thursday, October 01, 2015

Jim Obergefell to Kim Davis: You're Not Above The Law

Jim Obergefell, who case at the Supreme Court brought marriage equality to America, has written an open letter to Kentucky County Clerk, and lawbreaker, Kim Davis:
As you may know, when you fall in love with someone, you hand your heart and soul over to them. Anyone who has committed to sharing their life with another human and forming a family unit knows that it is the biggest and most rewarding adventure you will ever take. You know that all of the laughs and all of the tears won’t fall on the echo of an empty room, but will instead be received in the warm embrace of someone who has pledged to see you at your best and love you at your worst. You know that person is there to help pick you up on those days when the odds are stacked against you. You know that you never have to do the dishes alone.
When I met John, I had no idea that I would spend the next two decades building a life with the man who would one day inspire me to demand our right to be recognized by our country. I earned the right to lawfully call him my husband, just as you have a right to call your husband such. Love transcends gender. You’re imposing the same indignities on couples in Rowan County that John and I suffered when Ohio would not legally recognize us as a married couple. Thankfully, the law is now changed so that nobody should ever have to experience the injustice that John and I endured. No one is above the law, Kim, not even you.
I joined the fight to have our love treated equally precisely because our love is equal. The love that any family shares is no more or less worthy than that of any other, and it’s not fair for you, or anyone, to judge. It’s your job to simply do your job. Issuing a marriage license at work is not a personal endorsement of my marriage any more than recording a deed is an endorsement of my home ownership.
It’s simply following the rules in this civil society in which we’ve all agreed to be members. What truly matters is the kindness and compassion we share with our families and with those around us. Love makes a family. And as of June 2015 the federal government agrees. I did not fight for my right to call John my husband in vain. I stand today in his memory and proudly declare him my legally wedded spouse. Do not stand in the way of others seeking their legal right to have their love recognized.
Sincerely,
Jim Obergefell
I imagine Kim is too busy selling her soul to the Devil, who wears red Prada slip-ons and a white gown, to respond.

4 comments:

  1. xoxoxo to jim and john :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bless you jim & john.

    and I have so many many many bitchslaps saved for that bitch's ugly face...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see Anne Marie take on Kim and win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a well-written letter!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......