Friday, July 13, 2012

Good News Friday: Transgender Student Named Prom Queen


Connor Ferguson thought she might not attend prom, but when the night came, she decided to go, and slipped on a leopard print dress, and some glittery stilettos. She loved her outfit; she wasn’t so sure she would love the reaction she’d get for wearing it to prom.
See, Connor Ferguson is an 18-year-old transwoman from Trenton High School, Ontario, and she’d thought about not going to prom because she worried that her classmates might say something nasty or rude. She never expected what happened.
Connor Ferguson was named Prom Queen.
“It was absolutely unreal. I’ll definitely remember that moment forever. The cheers from classmates was overwhelming as well....So much support I cannot even put it into words.”
There had been rumors that some of Connor’s friends would cast a vote or two for her, but she never thought she’d actually win. And she never thought, after winning, that the reaction would be so positive.
She went out with friends later that night and everywhere she went she heard the words: “Congratulations on your win.”
Connor Ferguson is one of the lucky ones. While we often hear stories of kid being bullied, at time to the point of suicide, for being gay, or perceived to be gay, or for any numb er of “reasons,” her experience in high school was quite the opposite.
“I’ve gotten hardly any flack [at school] for being trans,” she said. “So many of the students and faculty at school have given me words of praise. I cannot give enough thanks for having one of the best high school experiences.”
Not that life for a transgendered person, living in a small town didn’t have its down side.
Ferguson began transitioning four years ago, by changing her wardrobe and using ‘she’ and ‘her’ in conversations about herself. And she was harassed by people in town, for being, well, different.
 “I wake up every single day in my small town wondering if I’m safely able to leave my house,” said Ferguson, of those early days. “I’ve had things yelled at me on the streets. I’ve even been driven at by cars. I don’t let silly things like this stop me from being a happy, confident individual. Regardless of my status as a woman or transwoman I try my hardest not to let the little things bother me.”
Ferguson said she fights abuse by dismissing it and not giving it her attention: “That’s the thing — I literally do not give bullies my time. I can’t be bothered with people who spew hatred. They genuinely have no [effect] on my life. I’m so happy with who I am, and I’m proud to be the young woman I am today. I think being a proud woman is something that catches them off-guard too. Don’t be timid … stand up for your happiness.”
It sounds like, for Connor Ferguson at least, school was the one place she felt safe, and she felt herself. 
 “All I’m doing is being a happy transwoman. It really doesn’t click with me that society thinks that’s intriguing, or different. I’m just myself, I can’t be expected to be anything else.”

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad a bucket of blood wasn't dumped on Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful. Inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :::STANDING OVATION:::

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......