Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Architecture Wednesday: The Astonishing Wilkinson Residence


This is one of those houses that kinda looks like it might be hard to live in; not to mention that it kinda looks like the remnants of a UFO that crashed in the Oregon woods some time ago.
But, even with it's circularity, it has a kind of Frank Lloyd Wright-ness to it that I cannot stop staring at. So that's why the Wilkinson residence is this week's featured architectural love interest of mine.
It sits on a steep sloping grade, which enabled the architect to bring the main level of the house into the forest canopy to evoke the feeling of being in a tree house. 
A lover of music, the client wanted a house that not only became part of the natural landscape but also addressed the flow of music, and this house seems to do that quite easily.
It also kind of tricks the eye, because it evades the mechanics of the camera; it is difficult to capture the way the interior space flows seamlessly through to the exterior. You have to actually wander through the house to grasp its complexities and its connection to the exterior. 
Which I hope the owners will understand, because, as soon as I found out where this house is, I'll be knocking on the door and asking for a tour.
And maybe a glass of wine with which to enjoy the view.
Click to emBIGGERate

5 comments:

  1. I L-O-V-E this place!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it I haven't won any big money yet or met a ultra wealthy man, these beautiful post are starting to make me depressed! And your right Bob, I keep waiting for little green men to come running out! And sad thing is I see them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really good planning,nice!
    Miami Jeep

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:38 PM

    It's quirky but I really like it!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......