Monday, July 02, 2012

Anderson Cooper Comes Out


So, I read an article in Entertainment Weekly about how celebrities come out of the closet these days. There seems to be less of a stigma, as there was when Ellen Degeneres came out in 1997, in Time and on Oprah, to these days when it's just a statement of fact, as when Zachary Quinto, in a bit of writing about bullying, uttered the line, "as a gay man."
It's become no big deal, the coming out process, these days, but Coming Out is still huge.
So, when Daily Beast writer Andrew Sullivan, wanted Anderson Cooper's take on the New Coming Out Process--as he says, "for obvious reasons"--and got an email response from Anderson that said this:
Andrew, as you know, the issue you raise is one that I've thought about for years. Even though my job puts me in the public eye, I have tried to maintain some level of privacy in my life. Part of that has been for purely personal reasons. I think most people want some privacy for themselves and the people they are close to.
But I've also wanted to retain some privacy for professional reasons.
Since I started as a reporter in war zones 20 years ago, I've often found myself in some very dangerous places. For my safety and the safety of those I work with, I try to blend in as much as possible, and prefer to stick to my job of telling other people’s stories, and not my own. I have found that sometimes the less an interview subject knows about me, the better I can safely and effectively do my job as a journalist.
I've always believed that who a reporter votes for, what religion they are, who they love, should not be something they have to discuss publicly. As long as a journalist shows fairness and honesty in his or her work, their private life shouldn't matter. I’ve stuck to those principles for my entire professional career, even when I’ve been directly asked “the gay question,” which happens occasionally. I did not address my sexual orientation in the memoir I wrote several years ago because it was a book focused on war, disasters, loss and survival. I didn't set out to write about other aspects of my life.
Recently, however, I’ve begun to consider whether the unintended outcomes of maintaining my privacy outweigh personal and professional principle. It’s become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid.
This is distressing because it is simply not true.
I’ve also been reminded recently that while as a society we are moving toward greater inclusion and equality for all people, the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible.
There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.
The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.
I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.
Since my early days as a reporter, I have worked hard to accurately and fairly portray gay and lesbian people in the media - and to fairly and accurately portray those who for whatever reason disapprove of them. It is not part of my job to push an agenda, but rather to be relentlessly honest in everything I see, say and do. I’ve never wanted to be any kind of reporter other than a good one, and I do not desire to promote any cause other than the truth.
Being a journalist, traveling to remote places, trying to understand people from all walks of life, telling their stories, has been the greatest joy of my professional career, and I hope to continue doing it for a long time to come. But while I feel very blessed to have had so many opportunities as a journalist, I am also blessed far beyond having a great career.
I love, and I am loved.
In my opinion, the ability to love another person is one of God’s greatest gifts, and I thank God every day for enabling me to give and share love with the people in my life. I appreciate your asking me to weigh in on this, and I would be happy for you to share my thoughts with your readers. I still consider myself a reserved person and I hope this doesn’t mean an end to a small amount of personal space.
But I do think visibility is important, more important than preserving my reporter’s shield of privacy.
Welcome Out, Anderson, my Husband-In-My-Head.
And please accept, as a gift for Coming Out, the Homo HQ copy of The Gay Agenda--it's a short read, just one word: Equality--as well as the obligatory Coming Out Toaster Oven.
We can say we always knew you were gay, but now we know.
Thanks for that.

4 comments:

  1. The best thing about Anderson coming out publicly is that to him it is no big deal.
    Now if every young Gay kid could just feel the same and do the same.
    Bravo Anderson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I generally have no patience for those who remain in the closet, in Anderson Cooper's case I've always understood why he chose to never publicly declare his homosexuality. In his line of work it was, clearly, a matter of personal safety.

    I, too, read with interest last week's Entertainment Weekly article and hoped that it would encourage additional "famous" people to find the courage to publicly acknowledge their truths.

    Coming out is never easy but, ultimately, it's always worth the effot.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:18 PM

    AS thrilled as I am that Anderson has confirmed his sexuality and in doing so he will save countless lives, families and spirits.

    I will ask, "Why is one's sexual orientation a privacy issue for everyone not straight?" Straight people never think twice about people knowing who they date, have sex with, marry, have children with, live with etc.

    Please don't say it's a privacy issue, please say "I feared for my career", "I feared rejection from friends and family, " I feared for my safety, and life." When you make sexual orientation a privacy issue, you make it sound dirty. And yes, I think that there are different standards for public figures and that everyone has the right to come out on they on terms and timetable. Just be real with the reason.

    Where'd that come from???

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......