Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Mittsy Chronicles: I'm Voting Obama In 2012


This is the Obama I've wanted to see; the Obama who stands up and tells it like it is and doesn't try to placate everyone. He's after Mittsy for his lies about Bain, his hidden wealth that he spreads around the world, in tax havens from the Caymans to Switzerland, and his refusal to release his tax records from before 2010, you know, when he was making all that money sending jobs overseas.

And, well, Mittsy says the president should apologize, and, I kind of agree. It should go something like this: "I'm sorry you got caught" or "I'm sorry your lies caught up with you" or "I'm sorry you'll never be president." Okay, maybe not that last one.

Still, I am loving how Obama keeps jabbing Mittsy for his, oops, I-was-there-longer-than-I-first-said time at Bain--even with the "retroactive retirement'--and how Bain shipped all kinds of jobs that Americans might have had to China and Mexico.

I wonder how the GOP will react to that. I mean, they keep talking about Mexicans coming here and taking American jobs, and now their boy has been discovered sending American jobs to Mexico.

And, of course, Obama has been hitting Mittsy hard about his personal wealth in investments in Switzerland, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands, and that, as Massachusetts governor, he sent state jobs to India. Huh? As a governor of an American state he took jobs away from his own people?

But, what I love even more than Obama hitting Mitt hard is watching his own party come after him--probably in an effort to distance themselves from the eventual loser. Conservative pundits, and GOP members of Congress, have begun questioning Mittsy’s reluctance to release his tax records from prior to 2010. 

At the National Governors Association meeting in Williamsburg, Alabama's Republican governor, Robert Bentley, called on Romney to release all the documents requested of him: "If you have things to hide, then maybe you're doing things wrong. I think you ought to be willing to release everything to the American people."

I think so, too, but Mittsy, well, not so much.

Of course, the moment the Democrats echoed Bentley's sentiments, he did that GOP two-step, saying, that while he still believes Romney's taxes should be released and he believes in transparency, he wasn't implying that Romney has anything to hide. Actually, Bobby, um, you were.

But Obama is the one hitting the hardest. Standing in the rain in Virginia, he upped the ante considerably, attacking Mittsy and his GOP cronies for pursuing what he calls an outdated and discredited economic policies: "He invested in companies that have been called pioneers of outsourcing. I don't want pioneers in outsourcing, I want some insourcing. I want to bring companies back.”

In Clifton, Virginia, Obama once again went after Mittsy for his, um, business sense: "I want to stop giving tax breaks to companies that are shipping jobs overseas. Let's give those tax breaks that are investing right here in Virginia, right here in the United States of America, hiring American workers to make American products to sell around the world."

Andrea Saul, Mittsy's spokesperson, naturally took the president to task for his remarks: "The American people deserve the truth and they certainly deserve better from their president."

Funny, though, she didn't offer any 'truths' about Mittsy.

So, there's that, and then there's my take: I don't begrudge Mittsy being a millionaire. I don't begrudge Mittsy taking advantage of our lopsided tax laws that favor the rich. I don’t begrudge him sending his money out of the country, and I don't begrudge him for his time making millions at Bain.

I do, however, have a problem with his lying about his time at Bain. I do have a problem with "retroactive retirement" because that does not exist. I do have a problem with anyone, Democrat of Republican, saying they know what’s best for this country, for this economy, who made millions shipping American jobs out of this country, and who, while a governor, a public employee, also taking American jobs and giving them to the people of India.

It may be business, but it isn't presidential.


5 comments:

  1. I read this yesterday
    http://tinyurl.com/d8t68xy
    and thought it was interesting and explains a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:10 AM

    I'm glad President Obama has learned how to fight. I love how he's throttling Mittsy and not letting up. That is what's needed from the rest of the Democratic Party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's only just begun ...

    Personally, I think Romney's fate will be sealed once he picks a running mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's is really in a bind with this one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I do begrudge Mittsy for taking advantage of every tax law he could to reduce or evade taxes. Romney is the poster boy for those select few who play by a different set of rules while the rest of us schlubs naively believed that there was a level playing field in investments.
    I just hope that Obama and the Dems keep the pressure on Romney to release his tax returns. Don't let up. Romney needs to put on his big boy pants and stop whining and acting like a truthful and responsible citizen if he wants to be president.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......