Thursday, February 11, 2016

PR All-St★rs 5 Starts tonight!

Well, PR All-Stars returns for season five, bringing back some old, and some really old, contestants from the PR as well as a couple from that Tim Gunn spin-off show the year Heidi didn’t want to do a PR called “Under The Gunn.”

Let’s meet them …

Alexander Pope, of PR 12

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
I’ve just been working my butt off in costuming for theater and TV.
I see lots of ‘it looks like’ a costume’ remarks ahead for Alexander.

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
Probably my copper hair and Spock-like eyebrows… but things change, especially hair color.
I remember the Ironing Board Pushing …

What makes you All-Star material?
The fact that I was asked back to do "All Stars" makes me All-Star material!
Well, there isn’t a lot to choose from so maybe you were chosen to fill out the PR Dance Card?

Asha Daniels, of Under the Gunn

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway: Under the Gunn”?
I just launched my debut afro punk-inspired collection for Asha Ama in my first professional fashion show since my season. The collection has been shot in a few editorial features. I’m currently working on re-launching my website and online store ashaama.com.
She knows how to work the promotions, eh?

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
Everyone that watched the show loved my winning look for Zendaya. Having such a beautifully talented woman wear one of my designs is by far my favorite moment from my season. Designing for a dream client was a huge inspiration and blessing.
I think I remember it …plaid, right?

Who is favorite fellow "Project Runway" designer?
My all time favorite designer is definitely Mondo. Going from watching his amazing talent on his season to having him choose to mentor me on mine has been surreal. We have the same stupid sense of humor and unrelenting passion for design. He has inspired me both as a designer and as a human being. I love his brave and bold approach to creating. Mondo’s definitely someone I love and respect.
I’ll give her that; I love Mondo, too. And not just because he reTweets me.

What makes you All-Star material?
My ambition, unique point of view, determination, and God-given talent.
Blibbety-blah-blay-blue

Daniel Franco, of PR 1 and PR 2

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
I am the owner of Albertson Wedding Chapel in Los Angeles. It is L.A.’s only cool, stylish wedding chapel. I think it is the only one of it’s kind on the West Coast. We market to 25-35 year olds that are deeply in love and that have love a modern aesthetic. These are not religious wedding, but are they sure are romantic and intimate. I style and give hands on artistic direction to the chapel and change it’s look monthly. We perform close to 1000 weddings a year.
So, no design, just weddings?

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
My tenacity as being the first designer to return to "Project Runway" of my own accord. It was not a privilege to return back then, but a right earned. I lost in the lingerie team challenge to Santino’s team and the nation flipped out! At least we got a great song out of it… "Daniel Franco where did you go-oh oh?”
Um, I don’t remember a song but I do remember you losing … twice.

What makes you All-Star material?
I helped build this ship with my efforts 10 years ago. That’s 10 years of living with my "Project Runway" experience. I am All-Star material because my looks from 10 years ago from Seasons 1 and 2 still look in style!
I’m sensing Heidi and Tim might be Gunn-ing for him since he’s taking so much credit for the show.

Dom Streater, PR 12 Winner

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
Lots! I've been concentrating on my namesake collection of print-based garments and accessories, with a focus on jackets and rainwear! I've also been working on a few collaborations like a set of printed headphone skins by Velodyne and a custom collection of mens ties, bowties and pocket squares for the Roots and Jimmy Fallon just to name a few!
Headphones, prints and ties, oh my!

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
Definitely my personality and use of print. I knew who I was as an individual, but I think Season 12 for me was a chance to really discover who I was as a designer and it really opened my eyes to having fun with fashion. It’s what the fans of the show always say they appreciated about my time on the runway!
She was a prints queen. 

What makes you All-Star material?
I think to be an All Star, you have to embody the ideas of perseverance and creativity. “Project Runway” is hard. “Project Runway All Stars” is harder. You have really got to know yourself in order to succeed as a true all star.
Again, you won … that should be enough.

Emily Payne, of PR 13

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
I've been constantly creating new work for private clients, collaborations with other designers/artists/photographers for images for my website, which are both now completely revamped with all new content since my time on the show. I have been involved in several fashion shows and charity events all over the Bay area. I've also taught several draping/sewing classes for youths, as well as PR/designer biography/Q & A sessions.
She’s working the coins from her time on the PR.

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
Being fair, not talking about other contestants or becoming involved in the drama.
In other words, kinda boring? So, why is she back? I needs my PR drama!!!!!!

What makes you All-Star material?
I think my experience in the field for so many years, building an extensive portfolio, collaborating with so many talented and important artists, as well as my placement on the show. Many viewers believed that I should have been able to go to NYFW and thought I deserved a place on "All Stars."

But, I do wonder, if you are so successful, and so varied in your field, why come back to the PR?

fäde zu grau, of PR 13

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
This year I found investors, turned into a company, hired a clothes maker, and already looking for a second one! PENG! After being on "Project Runway," many people contacted me, asking where they can buy the clothes that I was wearing on the show, which I made myself. We just launched our online store at the all new fadezugrau.com and later this year we possibly expand and sell our FA-bülouzzz clothes in a couple of small stores in Fort Lauderdale and New Jersey.
He’s all lower case. 

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
My "Atheist" shirts and necklaces! To this day people ask where they can buy them. Or they simply congratulate me for being outspoken about it. Another part from the show that many seem to remember was the emotional phone call that I had with my husband John.
I did love the atheist shirt.

Who is favorite fellow "Project Runway" designer?
I have great memories. The time with Sean, Alexander and Kini in the apartment during filming Season 13 was the coolest. We laughed so much it was completely out of control! Coming back at 2 am or something, we still managed to dish for an hour no matter how tired we were. As soon as the door closed everybody was like, “Okay, okay, OOOKAY! Can you belieeeeve…”
A bunch of queens in a New York apartment gossiping until all hours? Who’da thunk it?

What makes you All-Star material?
It was a crazy and draining experience being on Season 13, but I learned a lot, especially to stop doubting myself and just follow my intuition. So I was very glad to be asked back for "All Stars" because I‘m ready to show everybody what I'm capable off.
Now THAT’S an answer.

Ken Laurence, of PR 12

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
Since Season 12, I stepped away from designing temporary to reflect on myself and identify my voice as a fashion designer. Last year I moved from Birmingham, Alabama to Atlanta, Georgia. It's still the south but better opportunities. Also, in February of 2015 I showcased my self-entitled clothing line, Ken Laurence, at Philly Fashion Week and had ALDO Shoes to sponsor the collection. Shortly after I decided to pause and focus on the business, so that I can build the proper foundation to succeed as a fashion designer.
So, is he designing, or is he stepping away? And I heard no mention of anger management classes though this man surely needed that!

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
Well, everyone knows what I am best remembered as... LOL!
Raging bitch. Raging. Bitch.

What makes you All-Star material?
I am All-Star material due to my willingness and perseverance. Giving up after failing the first time around is for the weak. An All-Star surpass the life's storm like an eagle. We use the storm's wind to descend above the clouds.
Oh dear. Word salad.

Kini Zamora, of PR 13

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
Well after "Project Runway" I hit the floor running. I launched my Spring/Summer 2015 ready to wear collection. I also launch a new print that I designed for my Hawaiian wear collection. And started a bridal collection as well as keeping up with building my custom clientele. I'm also keeping busy by talking at libraries, schools and career fairs to share my experiences.
How does he have time for All-stars? 

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
I think everyone remembers me at the “fast sewer” and the nice easy going person on the show. And of course that umbrella dress from the Rainway.
 Oh, yeah, he has time because he’s the “fast sewer.”

Who is favorite fellow "Project Runway" designer?
Amanda Valentine. I think we have like business and creative minds. We are soul sisters! We know how to balance our business and creative life.
 Egads! Amanda?

What makes you All-Star material?
I feel like I have a lot more to show the world and I feel like I have the potential to win. I was so close in my season and I'm ready to go to the end and win "All Stars!"
It’s all about the second chances.

Layana Aguilar, of PR 11

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
So much! Let’s start with: I got married and had a baby boy! After my participation on Season 11 I was able to take my clothing label Layana Aguilar to the next level and leverage from the exposure the show gave me. I traveled throughout the country and overseas to showcase my new collections. One of the places I visited was Aruba, where I signed a deal with a local resort to redesign their uniforms and their prints. I am also working on a big project with Disney for a new movie. I have also been successful in growing my sales and PR presence. I have been working with celebrity Dash Plank from “Orange is the New Black” and we make looks for her almost every week! I have attended several trade shows and now Layana Aguilar is sold in four awesome boutiques in NYC. I also do popup shops with fellow contestants once a month in NYC.I am launching a second label called Laya Land with affordable looks for everyone! Oh, also my husband and I are expecting our second baby, and it’s a girl!
When does she have time to design?

What makes you All-Star material?
I was able to take my experience from being on “Project Runway” and turn it into a successful business with all the hardships and challenges that the competitive fashion industry brings. Not many of us can say that.
Huh?

Mitchell Perry, of PR 13

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
Since being on 13 I have been on life’s very eventful roller coaster. From appearing on the news and local magazine interviews to even judging local fashion events. However since "Runway," my ride hasn’t always been on the up, I’ve been mugged on the streets and stuck in some legal issues. I spend a lot of time creating digital prints and designing print placement dresses and swimwear.
Wow. Mugged? For his designs? Or because he used to call himself The Mitchell Perry? 

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
I think I’m most remembered by saying, "The shorter the shorts, the closer to God,” and also my amazing disk dress from the unconventional challenge. The unfortunate truth is, when people meet/recognize me, they associate me with being mean, which is pretty sad because that’s not the real me at all.
It was just the TV you?

What makes you All-Star material?
Well duh, I’m freakin amazing. So that is that! Okay just kidding. I’m an All-Star because even in the face of adversity, I still manage to keep a smile on my face and persevere.
Smiling doesn’t make you an All-Star, dear.

Sam Donovan, Under the Gunn

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway: Under the Gunn”?
Since "Project Runway: Under the Gunn," I've been working on producing my own collections and client work, while working as a designer at one of the biggest retailers in the country.
Sewing.

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
I think people likely remember me for my sassy streetwear designs, as well as for opening up about my suicide attempt as a young gay teen. I am still receiving messages from all over the world from people who want to share their similar experiences and struggles with me. It has been rather touching.
Sassy streetwear? I remember Sam from his comments on my blog about me calling him a pissy little bitch; he liked that!

What makes you All-Star material?
My eye for balance between edgy, editorial, creative fashion, and wearable, beautiful clothes.
Okay, I like that.

Stella Zotis, of PR 5

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
Being a full time mom and sometimes taking on a project. My son is three and I’m trying to give him a solid early foundation by being there every day constantly. The design business is very demanding and until he goes to school for pre-k I can only pick and choose my time for jobs.
So, she isn’t designing? 

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
Leather spikes, studs, and rock 'n' roll.
She was a Leather Daddy, to be sure. 

What makes you All-Star material?
Do you even have to ask?
:::Snap:::

Valerie Mayen, of PR 8

Bring us up to speed! What have you been up to since your time on “Project Runway”?
I’ve been busy planning and producing our annual fashion event and fundraiser, Hullabaloo. For the past four years I’ve produced and designed an exclusive collection for this solo show that incorporates music, dance, food and fashion to raise funds and awareness for a different local non-profit that we support. This year we had over 750 attendees. Mondo came to Cleveland and showcased a capsule collection of 15 looks before my collection of 40 looks. Our 4th annual Hullabaloo was a huge success. The collection, titled “Viva Femme,” was inspired by and created to honor the women of Laura’s Home, a center for women in crisis and those who have suffered abuse and rape.
Well, that sounds like a fun event … even though ... Cleveland. 

What do you think you are best remembered for from your season?
I hope I’m best remembered for being funny and happy-go-lucky and having good character. As a designer I think I’m best remembered for my red dress from the Marie Claire challenge and my napkin dress from the party store challenge.
I remember her for joining in with Ivy the Hater to bash Michael. 

What makes you All-Star material?
Honestly…I’m not sure. I feel uneasy saying that I’m an All Star. Who decides that? What’s the criteria? I’m a hard worker and I think I have some interesting ideas and I execute them well. If that makes an All Star, then call me an All Star. It’s an honor to be one… I just hope I can live up to the name.
I think the producers decide, based on who’s available, who’s memorable from their season, and who can bring it.

So, there you have it. A couple of bitches, a mean queen, a sassy queen, a costume queen, a Hawaiian queen.

It’s a mixed bag this season …let the games begin.

1 comment:

Say anything, but keep it civil .......