Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Architecture Wednesday: Church Conversion

So, we're back in church ... in London.

As I've said before, I love churches, I'm just not a fan of a lot of stuff that goes on in them. So, when someone buys one and turns it into a private home, and yet retains some of the more church-y aspects of the building, then, well, full circle moment, I love a church.

And I love the all white ceiling, even though it kind of masks the buttresses and arches and ribs of the old building; and I love the massive spaces.

And I pray to one day own a home like this. Of course, I also worry about Mistress Maddie, because I know she loves these old spaces and all the white and the dark wood, but I fear that if she enters, she might spontaneously combust ...

click to emBIGGERate

HomeDSGN

6 comments:

  1. I like homes that are repurposed public buildings. Churches and libraries and lots of one room school houses ... Perhaps because I have considered churches and libraries and schools homes of my own over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the building could go on to have a new life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:36 AM

    I am not usually a fan or church conversions as they can seem too cold and awkwardly laid out. But I am a fan of this.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have preferred a more dramatic use of the roofline, ceilings, and details but I have always loved the idea of living in a converted church ever since seeing the movie "Alice's Restaurant."

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd have to pray for the dosh to heat all that empty space! I have a church over the road from me; 12th century originally, beautiful to look at but I wouldn't want to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may be the best church conversion o have seen. I love it and am ready to move it. I just hope it still stands upon me entering.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......